Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Laptop powers off during Linux installation

I have an older HP G42-230US Notebook Laptop & it is running Windows 7 fine.

I'm trying to install Ubuntu & writing over the Windows OS, but when I try and run it the computer is turning off after maybe 10 seconds after booting from the Ubuntu DVD, I have tried 32 & 64 bit DVDs and the same thing happens, I have updated the BIOS but it doesn't fix it. I've tried boting from USB device but the same thing happens.

I have tried installing Zorin, Mint & Ubuntu & the same thing happens. When I try & install Windows 7 the installation runs fine which suggests to me there isn't a hardware issue as the Windows install would fail if it was corrupted RAM or something similar.

Any ideas?

Is there anything printed to the screen when this happens?

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    Is there anything printed to the screen when this happens?
    Nothing, the computer boots the from Linux install usb device, shows me the distros logo & looks as if it is going to load & then cuts off.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Have you compared the MD5 check of the file you DL'ed and burnt to ensure there is no issues there?

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just a weird thought, what if you tried changing the boot order? Set it up to run the CD or USB first?

-- "Push The Outer Linux"

Linux Newbie
    I don't know all distro's parental antecedent and what fork s happened. Many of what you have tried are debian based possibly all are.
    Try say a fedora or red hat based or other distro s. It maybe your machine is debian resistant, it's not that this issue couldn't be working on your machine eventually.

Another thought, shine a flashlight at the screen. The backlight might not be on. I've been having trouble with this when putting my computer to sleep and waking it with no backlight.

-- "Push The Outer Linux"