Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Yay! Another Dual-Boot Fail!

So I am trying to get dual-boot to work for a while now,

One I had to wipe everything,
    and once I had to wipe my cmos because of faulty bios flash.

So Im kinda pissed-off of installing linux atm.

Still I want to try out ElementaryOS as second os.

The thing is, I installed it using a pendrive, but somehow it installed grub wrong (It did detect windows on installation).

When I boot my pc, I get the usual startup, and it goes straight into windows.

I installed it using the default dual-boot option, not using the custom partitions one (I did that, did not work either).

So. Do you have any ideas on how I can troubleshoot/solve this problem, I would like to use linux as second development/experiment os.

Thanks for your time,

-JustRamon

PS: I have posted this on other forums too, but I most times I was moved to an "Other Os's" forum where nobody looks

Do you have a traditional bios or the new secure boot/uefi? I've not done much dual-booting, but when I used a traditional bios machine I shrunk Windows down, then installed Ubuntu and trusted it to do the right thing... and it worked great. My current machine has the newer uefi bios, and a couple of attempts at adding Linux haven't ended well.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Rescue your Windows & GNU/Linux systems - Rescatux & Super Grub2 Disk

Seeing I do not know any info on your computer specs or details of install.
    Besides. I don't multiboot anymore.

Bye.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by YourPalMark View Post
    Do you have a traditional bios or the new secure boot/uefi? I've not done much dual-booting, but when I used a traditional bios machine I shrunk Windows down, then installed Ubuntu and trusted it to do the right thing... and it worked great. My current machine has the newer uefi bios, and a couple of attempts at adding Linux haven't ended well.
    Uefi yes, but I disabled all the fastboot/secure boot stuff (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post

Link
    Link (I do not have 5 posts :P)

Seeing I do not know any info on your computer specs or details of install.
    Besides. I don't multiboot anymore.

Bye.
    Well, the reason I did not try Boot-Repair is because that full factory reset I had to do was because of using bootrepair. it completely screwed up my boot.
    Also: Is there a way to get the info without running the fix itself?

My specs:

I have an Acer Aspire Predator G3620 (DT.SJPEH.023), yes prebuilt from acer (it was a bad decision after all).

It has 2 drives: 1Tb hard drive (Where windows & the unaccessable linux is stored), and a 16 gb cache ssd (idk where it is used for)

As far as I can tell, the pc boots from the hard drive. (not sure though).

If you need more info, i am willing to give you all the info to get this fixed.

I love the look of elementary. I am pumped to try it

So, today I found the option to get the boot info without actually fixing the boot (the second button :P).
    I ran it, and this is the outcome: paste2[dot]org/Ndpte5sC

Also I tried to add linux to the windows bootmenu using easyBCD, and it did add a new option, but on clicking it I get the "Windows could not load" message.

Can anyone help me with this?
    Last edited by JustRamon; 07-09-2015 at 11:28 AM.

I fixed it! I ran boot-repair again and it fixed itself! Now I can succesfully dual-boot!