Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, Mandrake 9. SBLive! Player 5.1 Fresh install What drivers do I need? The sound is working but I have the Cambridge 5.1 speakers with subwoofer, it is sounding fairly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SBLive! Player 5.1

Hi,

Mandrake 9. SBLive! Player 5.1

Fresh install

What drivers do I need? The sound is working but I have the Cambridge 5.1 speakers with subwoofer, it is sounding fairly lame with just stereo support under linux

EMU10K1 is what I've heard about

I was told as my system was listing the drivers as "snd-emu10k1" rather than just "emu10k1" i would need the ALSA update for my distro

Wha?

Thanks,

Linux Guru
    Since you're probably using OSS and not ALSA, you won't need any ALSA upgrade. However, I don't think that there are any programs actually utilizing more than stereo sound, so that might very well be why you don't get more than that.

Just Joined!
    Well, it says "Shutting down alsa" as one of the things during a reboot or shutdown so I assume alsa is installed (whatever that is!)

--EDIT-- Just to let you know, when Mandrake boots it says that this - "ALSA0.9.0rc2 version: emu10k1" --EDIT--

Not sure how to update it though, they say I need the update for my exact version of the kernel

Any ideas?

As for programs which would support the decent sound... XMSS? newer 3D Games which support 5.1 in windows? DVD Playback?

Thanks,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Well, I don't see why XMMS would be using more than 2 channels when it's only playing stereo music. For games and DVD playback, however, I actually don't know, I must admit. It would seem strange if they hadn't added driver support for more than 2 channels, but then on the other hand, I haven't actually tried it, and neither do I know what programs support it.

If Mandrake actually uses ALSA, as it seems from what you write, I don't think that you need to upgrade the driver, though. I would be very surprised if it didn't come with the latest drivers. What programs have you tried this with that are supposed to play more than 2 channel sounds?

FYI, OSS (Open Sound System) and ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) are two competing sound driver architectures. ALSA is newer and supposed to be better, but I haven't done any programming with either of them, so I don't know in what way.

Just Joined!
    Are there other MP3 playing programs available for Linux in that case? Winamp in windows uses all 5 of my speakers and subwoofer

Jim

Linux Guru
    That functionality isn't in the sound card; it should be in your amplifier. It's strange anyway, though. When I use xmms, or any other application playing 2 channel audio, I get sound out of all my speakers. I'm also using a SB Live 5.1 sound card and Cambride 5.1 speakers, and no matter what audio mode I set the amplifier to, I get sound from four speakers, and if I use the Music or Movie modes, I get sound from the center speaker as well.
    If it isn't that you have done anything strange to your hardware setup, then try this command and see if you get sound from your surround spekers:
    Code:
    mpg123 -vs "any MP3 file" | sox -t .raw -r 44100 -c 2 -sw - -t ossdsp -c 4 /dev/dsp
    That should make sox convert the sound output to four channel audio and play it to your OSS emulation device, so that way you should really get surround sound. If you still don't, then there's probably something wrong with the ALSA emu10k1 drivers, so try OSS instead if it doesn't work.

Just Joined!
    Actually can I restate what the problem is like? It's basically only playing out of the front two speakers as if they were the only two playing

And it's playing to them as if they are the **** 8 quid speakers I threw in the bin when I upgraded to these (like distorted walkman headphones)

The subwoofer is doing very little work, but it is working (just)

The centre speaker is hissing

The rear right and left speakers aren't even hissing

Boot into Windows and it all works, so they are not broken

Thanks for the code i will try it

Jim

Linux Guru
    Have you connected the sound card to the speakers using the digital output?

Just Joined!
    The speakers aren't of the digital variety, and I haven't changed any cabling since installing linux or between booting the two

Anyway, think I'd best give up as Linux now crashes whenever it tries to use any files from /mnt/nt

I might reformat, that is if I can be bothered to go through it all again. It was quite fun trying to get it to work though so it would be a shame

Just Joined!
    Well, I reformatted and the /mnt/nt and nVidia driver problems have fixed themselves

Raising the overall volume with KMix has made the hissing less obvious but the rear speakers still don't work and the sound still sounds fairly distorted

Any ideas?

Jim

--edit-- [jim@localhost Desktop]$ mpg123 -vs mp3.mp3 | sox -t .raw -r 44100 -c 2 -sw - -t ossdsp -c 4 /dev/dsp
    High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
    Version 0.59r (1999/Jun/15). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
    Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
    THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    Title : Sunshine of your love Artist: Cream
    Album : Year :
    Comment: Genre : Pop

Playing MPEG stream from mp3.mp3 ...
    Junk at the beginning 49443303
    MPEG 1.0, Layer: III, Freq: 44100, mode: Joint-Stereo, modext: 2, BPF : 417
    Channels: 2, copyright: No, original: Yes, CRC: No, emphasis: 0.
    Bitrate: 128 Kbits/s, Extension value: 0
    Audio: 1:1 conversion, rate: 44100, encoding: signed 16 bit, channels: 2
    Frame# 2131 [ 7494], Time: 00:55.66 [03:15.76],
    [0:55] Decoding of mp3.mp3 finished.

That was the output of running the code you gave me earlier... I notice (channels: 2)

--edit--

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast