Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Trouble loading Puppy Linux

I have a live image (iso) of Precise Puppy 5.7.1 on a DVD. When I put it in either of two laptops and attempt to boot from the disc, here's what I get:

Just wait 5 seconds for normal startup!
    Boot:

I wait the five seconds and then I get this:

Loading drivers needed to access disk drives.. done
    Searching for Puppy files...... done
    Loading the 'puppy_precise_5.7.1.sfs' main file... copying to ram done
    Setting up the layered filesystem... done
    Performing a 'switch_root' to the layered filesystem...[ 34.434141] Kernel Panic -- not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000100

I ran md5sum on the iso after burning and got the expected output, so presumably the disc is fine.

Both laptops are functional when booting from their hard drives, as well as from their disc drives when I boot them with Xubuntu or Ubuntu live images.

I should also mention that both laptops are already running Linux. One is running Fedora 19, the other Xubuntu XX. Or, actually...is that even relevant? If I understand the idea of Puppy Linux, it should not even be touching the hard drive as it loads. Everything is happening in the RAM and the boot medium (in this case DVD), right? So should it even matter what's on the hard drive?
    Last edited by Daggett; 08-09-2016 at 04:49 AM. Reason: more questions

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Daggett View Post
    Code:
    Loading drivers needed to access disk drives..                    done
    Searching for Puppy files...... 	       	                  done
    Loading the 'puppy_precise_5.7.1.sfs' main file... copying to ram done
    Setting up the layered filesystem...			  	  done
    Performing a 'switch_root' to the layered filesystem...[   34.434141] Kernel Panic -- not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000100
    I ran md5sum on the iso after burning and got the expected output, so presumably the disc is fine.
    yes, that would have been my first thing to check.
    If I understand the idea of Puppy Linux, it should not even be touching the hard drive as it loads. Everything is happening in the RAM and the boot medium (in this case DVD), right? So should it even matter what's on the hard drive?
    puppy needs a filesystem, even if it's not on the hard drive.

try this search.

-->
    Are the laptops UEFI machines, or BIOS? Hardware info welcome.
    I use Slacko 5.7 all the time. Sounds like a bad burn or corrupted file somwhere.
    "All that is required for evil to triumph is for a good human to say nothing"
    _______________________________________________| Salix, Puppy & antiX

$spacer_open
$spacer_close