Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well I downloaded and installed xmms-1.2.10-1.i386.rpm from xmms.org on red hat 9. But the problem is that its not playing mp3s. When i play mp3 no sound comes out and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xmms and Bittorrent install

Well I downloaded and installed xmms-1.2.10-1.i386.rpm from xmms.org on red hat 9. But the problem is that its not playing mp3s. When i play mp3 no sound comes out and it sorts of fast forwards through the file. What do i do?
    Also I downloaded and installed bittorrent-3.4.2-1.0.rh9.rf.noarch.rpm from somewhere. It gives kind ot an error "warning: bittorrent-3.4.2-1.0.rh9.rf.noarch.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 6b8d79e6" Did it get installed. If so then how do i run it?

Please help.

Re: Xmms and Bittorrent install

Quote Originally Posted by malikdaud
    Well I downloaded and installed xmms-1.2.10-1.i386.rpm from xmms.org on red hat 9. But the problem is that its not playing mp3s. When i play mp3 no sound comes out and it sorts of fast forwards through the file. What do i do?
    This could be one of a few problems, but have you noticed any stray .WAV files showing up in your music folders? XMMS has a setting that turns MP3 files into WAV files by hitting the Play button. The only notification the user gets is that XMMS seems to be "fast-forwarding" through the songs.

Also I downloaded and installed bittorrent-3.4.2-1.0.rh9.rf.noarch.rpm from somewhere. It gives kind ot an error "warning: bittorrent-3.4.2-1.0.rh9.rf.noarch.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 6b8d79e6" Did it get installed. If so then how do i run it?
    Those signatures are for security and data-integrity purposes. They don't mean that anything went wrong with the install, just that you don't have a special key installed on your local machine. I've never had trouble installing files that gave me these warnings.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    That's it. It created .wav files and fast forwards through the songs. How do i turn this off?

I believe (though I haven't used XMMS in a while) there's an option in preferences to configure your output device. Right now it's set to WAV Converter or something like that. Change it to OSS Device and see if that gives you playback.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned

Re: Xmms and Bittorrent install

Please help.
    Just remove that package and use both these:
    ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/dag/redhat/9...h9.rf.i386.rpm
    ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/dag/redhat/9...h9.rf.i386.rpm

Just Joined!
    Well my xmms is running fine. Thanks.

But I still havent figured out bittorrent. By the way if i get it installed somehow how will i access and use it.

Linux Engineer
    Well my xmms is running fine. Thanks.

But I still havent figured out bittorrent. By the way if i get it installed somehow how will i access and use it.
    Fpr bit torrent, this should not be a problem. ABC TORRENT, AZUREUS are VERY nice client that run great.
    as for the bittorrent, try getting an rpm WITH an arch,... i386 at minimum. no arch will be very slow if you dont compile it yourself as it will use standard Processor calls, that refer to older architecture.. http://rpmfind.net/ is a Very good rpm finder site that will get you what your looking for

Hope this helps
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Well I downloaded "ABC-Linux-V.2.4.3-alpha.tar.gz" and extracted it. But I cant ./configure or make it. How do i run it?

Linux Engineer
    Well... can you please post the exact error message you got?
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Well I have downloaded and extracted both abc and bittiorrent tar.gz files. i've even run bittorent by "btdownloadcurses.py file.torrent" in console but i can't figure out how to pause it and then restrat later where i stopped the download. Also I can't figure out how to make abc work.