Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Trouble installing KDE Neon / GRUB Problem

I am trying to install KDE Neon, but I get an error: GRUB installation failed.

I tried following some instructions I found on the internet:
    1.Mount the partition in the /mnt folder, using the command: sudo mount etc..
    2.Then I used the command: sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt --force /dev/dsa8

It says that the installation is complete. But idk what to do next. I restart the computer but windows launches instead. I went back to the BIOS and launched the USB again, and did the same process again. I have 2 options: F2 Set up and F12 Boot options. Maybe I have to choose F2?

KDE can run on Linux alright, do you have Linux installed?
    BTW, there certainly is no /dev/dsa8, is it your typo or the tutorial you are following suggests this?

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    KDE can run on Linux alright, do you have Linux installed?
    BTW, there certainly is no /dev/dsa8, is it your typo or the tutorial you are following suggests this?
    The instructions say to use the command: "sudo fdisk -l" and check where the partition has been made. In my case it says the linux filesystem is on /dev/dsa8 so I used that one.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Would you like to pay for my travel expenses? I can come and watch over your shoulder.
    I asked do you have Linux installed, you need something to run KDE on, KDE is a desktop environment, it won't run by itself.
    If you insist you have /dev/dsa8 then there is nothing we can do. As you noticed, Grub install was also unable to do anything about this. Screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Would you like to pay for my travel expenses? I can come and watch over your shoulder.
    I asked do you have Linux installed, you need something to run KDE on, KDE is a desktop environment, it won't run by itself.
    If you insist you have /dev/dsa8 then there is nothing we can do. As you noticed, Grub install was also unable to do anything about this. Screwed.
    No, I dont have Linux installed. Only Windows. I am trying to install KDE Neon with Plasma 5.10. Thats the flavor I chose.

OK, I'm telling you third and final time. KDE is a desktop environment, it is not an operating system, it will not run by itself.
    Here are the prerequisites:
    1. Linux kernel, this is the OS.
    2. A bunch of GNU tools which make it possible to interact with kernel, often called Linux distribution.
    3. Xorg (or Wayland), this creates graphical environment.
    4. Only after all previous requirements are fulfilled one can run a Desktop Environment, like KDE.

Of course, there may be some KDE port I'm not aware of that runs on Windows. Is that what you are trying to do?

But I dont understand. Isnt it like Kubuntu? Someone told me to download KDE Neon since it comes with Plasma 5.10 instead of 5.9 like Kubuntu.

I execute the install.exe, and it asks me for language, time, password, etc. If it is only a desktop environment why does it ask me for all those things? I downloaded a user.iso.

I'm sure you know what you are talking about. The trouble is we don't. What did you download? From where? If there are some instructions you are following, which ones?