Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1

    Different ways to install linux


    Looking at web site there are different ways to install Linux.

    One way.

    If you do want to dual-boot, the most important time-honored piece of advice is to install Linux on your system after Windows is already installed. So, if you have an empty hard drive, install Windows first, then Linux. If you already have Windows installed, youíre clear to install Linux.


    When you install Linux after Windows, the Linux installer knows how to deal with Windows, resize its partition, and set up a boot loader with an option allowing you to choose Windows at boot time.


    Not sure I understand what Linux is doing to Windows or why Linux has to control Windows.


    Two way

    When you install Windows after Linux, Windows ignores Linux, doesnít know how to resize its partitions, and overwrites the Linux boot loader with its own. Youíll have to repair the Linux systemís boot loader before you can boot back into your Linux system again.

    Not sure why that the case or what is going on. So Windows get corrupted if you install Linux first than Windows?

  2. #2
    Linux Guru Jonathan183's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,116
    Linux does not do anything to Windows - the Linux installer script/program will usually configure the bootloader to allow booting of Windows as well as Linux.
    Windows does not get corrupted if Linux is installed first but it does not configure the bootloader to allow booting of Linux.

    You can install the OS in whichever order you want - but it will involve a bit more work on your part to get both OS to boot if you install Windows after Linux.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by parker99 View Post
    Looking at web site there are different ways to install Linux.

    One way.

    If you do want to dual-boot, the most important time-honored piece of advice is to install Linux on your system after Windows is already installed. So, if you have an empty hard drive, install Windows first, then Linux. If you already have Windows installed, youíre clear to install Linux.


    When you install Linux after Windows, the Linux installer knows how to deal with Windows, resize its partition, and set up a boot loader with an option allowing you to choose Windows at boot time.


    Not sure I understand what Linux is doing to Windows or why Linux has to control Windows.


    Two way

    When you install Windows after Linux, Windows ignores Linux, doesnít know how to resize its partitions, and overwrites the Linux boot loader with its own. Youíll have to repair the Linux systemís boot loader before you can boot back into your Linux system again.

    Not sure why that the case or what is going on. So Windows get corrupted if you install Linux first than Windows?
    a lot of half-truth and some error in that.

    generally speaking, linux will not automatically resize partitions.

    yes, linux usally knows how to deal with windows, but many edge cases exist (efi...).

    windows CAN damage linux installations on the same hard drive, esp. windows 10.
    Tapatalk: Kill it with fire!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    [QUOTE=Jonathan183;992019]Linux does not do anything to Windows - the Linux installer script/program will usually configure the bootloader to allow booting of Windows as well as Linux.
    Windows does not get corrupted if Linux is installed first but it does not configure the bootloader to allow booting of Linux.

    You can install the OS in whichever order you want - but it will involve a bit more work on your part to get both OS to boot if you install Windows after Linux.[/QUOTE

    Can you not just partition it before you install Linux.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    a lot of half-truth and some error in that.

    generally speaking, linux will not automatically resize partitions.

    yes, linux usally knows how to deal with windows, but many edge cases exist (efi...).

    windows CAN damage linux installations on the same hard drive, esp. windows 10.
    Should the computer be back up before installing Linux.

    Could some thing go wrong and cannot boot into Linux or windows or both and the computer should be back up first not to lose any thing.

    Or are they better now days and that hardly will happen today.

  7. #6
    Linux Guru Jonathan183's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,116
    Quote Originally Posted by parker99 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    Linux does not do anything to Windows - the Linux installer script/program will usually configure the bootloader to allow booting of Windows as well as Linux.
    Windows does not get corrupted if Linux is installed first but it does not configure the bootloader to allow booting of Linux.

    You can install the OS in whichever order you want - but it will involve a bit more work on your part to get both OS to boot if you install Windows after Linux.
    Can you not just partition it before you install Linux.
    You can create partitions in the order that you want, you can install the OS in the order you want. As I said in the previous post the reason for normally suggesting installing Windows then installing Linux is about configuring a bootloader/how the machine starts and what options it gives you by default after you install a particular OS.

  8. #7
    Linux Guru Jonathan183's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,116
    Quote Originally Posted by parker99 View Post
    Should the computer be back up before installing Linux.

    Could some thing go wrong and cannot boot into Linux or windows or both and the computer should be back up first not to lose any thing.

    Or are they better now days and that hardly will happen today.

    I suggest you backup any user data - documents you have written, photos etc before you start resizing partitions or installing an OS.
    Yes - things can go wrong, having a live CD/DVD or bootable pen drive is recommended.
    Linux installers are better than they used to be ... Ubuntu by default would wipe the hard drive - not tried it recently so I don't know if this is still the case. Having a combination of BIOS/UEFI can make things more complicated.

    It is better to be prepared for problems than just assume everything will be OK

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    I suggest you backup any user data - documents you have written, photos etc before you start resizing partitions or installing an OS.
    Yes - things can go wrong, having a live CD/DVD or bootable pen drive is recommended.
    Linux installers are better than they used to be ... Ubuntu by default would wipe the hard drive - not tried it recently so I don't know if this is still the case. Having a combination of BIOS/UEFI can make things more complicated.

    It is better to be prepared for problems than just assume everything will be OK
    Yea if some thing goes wrong and you cannot boot into Windows or Linux you will have to format the drive and partition again.

    Or format and reinstall Windows and get it working than try installing Linux again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •