Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Trying to install ubuntu v16.04.3 LTS Onto New/Blank HDD from a usb

Hello to all that come across my post.

Having trouble trying to install ubuntu onto a blank hdd.

Basically the pc was just being unused when i took the hdd out of it for my new pc, so i thought to use a spare empty hdd and get a copy of linux on it. the hdd is completely blank, I went through the whole procedure of burning the iso onto an empty usb stick, and i can boot into the "live" version of ubuntu from it. But the problems come about when i try to install the os onto the empty hard drive as the pc seems to not recognise it, but at no point in the install process does it ask me to select what drive i want to install to, so i assume that it just installed it to the usb??? and not the hdd?? If anyone knows what i have done wrong, i just want to be able to use the 2nd computer as a stand alone with linux on it without having to boot from a usb as i want linux to be the only os on this pc (apart from vms)

Any Help is appreciated, thanks.

P.s this is my first post here so let me know if i did anything wrong :D

First, the hardware must be functional. Can your BIOS see the hard drive?

The first time i tried to install the os it showed up in the bios but now it doesnt show up at all

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, that's your problem. Fix it and try again. Obviously you cannot install to a drive that does not exist.

I get that and im going to try with a different drive tomorrow but even when it did show up the first time in bios it still didnt work with the install.

This means it wasn't there any more when you attempted the install. What type of drive is it, PATA, SATA, SCSI?

Its a 2.5" sata laptop hdd, first time i tried it showed up in bios but not as option when i went to install, 2nd time it was showing as "0.0gb" in bios and now it doesnt show up at all in bios

The drive is dead or the cable is bad. Motherboard going bad is less likely, although sometimes clearing CMOS helps when weird things start to happen.

-->
    Happened with me once

#ive a SATA HDD. Bios refused to identify it. #Some ****ed up encryption ****

I'm assuming you tried to dual boot or tried to installing the os on non-uefi and then installed another os on uefi or ****ed up with the partition tables.

1. Boot into any live cd, preferably one with a GUI, open gparted or parted. If your HDD is still alive, it'll come up there with or without the space it has already.

2.format the HDD into any file format usuable by most OSes #do NTFS/FAT32/Ext4.

3. after you are done with it, the HDD will be brand new, your live OS will detected a whole ******* HDD without GPT/MBR, only with some singular partition ie NTFS/Ext4.

4. Just to double check, restart the pc. Start up hardware diagnostics to see whether it detects the HDD or no, mostly it will because it's now without any partition, thus, no hassles. If it does, kudos.
    #if you can't see your HDD in bios, it's okay (my hp bios doesn't show the HDD). However if your HDD has been corrected, you'll receive no 'SMART HDD has detected an imminent problem' or ' No HDD detected' errors.

5. If everything is fine till this point, you're close to victory. Now use gparted on the live cd and make partitions and kudos

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk