Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Bunsenlabs - Win7 Grub Fiasco

I know this is being asked over and over and over, yet I must say that I have been using all the free time I got since 48 hours ago to solve this, I checked out endless answers, and I just dont know what to do anymore...

Ive tried so many things Thast I dont really know where to start, so Ill better just explain a bit how i got here and the situation now and take it from there...

lets see:

-There is Windows 7 'W7' and Windows 10 'W10' in (hd0).
    -W10 makes me gag so i decide to install BL there instead.
    -Install bunsen labs. Obviously doing something ridiculously wrong even though i ve done this a gazzilion time years ago.
    -Grub only shows bunsenlabs.
    -2 days of reinstalling, online investigation enless console writting and a mild nervous breakdown laterthis is how my partitions look:

Screenshot - 01052018 - 07:54:30 PM.png

NFTS "W7" is the partition where windows is at, I can mount it an see and acces the files
    here are the details of W7:

info sda3.png

both of those unalocated parts i dont know why are there...

this is what happens when I run grub-update:

Screenshot - 01052018 - 08:02:23 PM.png

grub-probe error just appeared today, have no idea anymore...
    i have grub-install and reinstalled...
    what else....

I tried to add the entry manually with /etc/grub.d/40_custom.
    I made several different entries to see if any of the different possibilities might work:

40 custom.png

all of them leading to the bautifull:

BOOTMGR is missing
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

so, all I want is windows to appear in grub, like it should (or im used to) and just load so I casn work with my music etc.
    Thanks a million in advance for your time and lets see if any of you can help me out with this, I honestly never been so stuck with this...
    ill be here untill it gets fixed so ill be able to reply soon.

W10 means UEFI boot, methinks?
    So did you install Grub in UEFI mode? Furthermore, are you booting in UEFI mode now?
    I can't see any pictures, so if there is some useful information then I cannot access it.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    I can't see any pictures, so if there is some useful information then I cannot access it.
    you can see them here forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?pid=66361#p66361

i must be honest I dont know anymore, last time I instaled i chose to do it from the "USB bunsen..." option that appeared in the BIOS menu since it also appeared and UEFI bunsen but that always gave me errors with the grub installing part
    W10 is long gone, now bunsen is on top.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You have to make up your mind whether you go UEFI or CSM mode. I personally do not like Grub2 and do not use it, but I do believe it has a command line switch to force UEFI mode. Of course, it is possible only when you boot in UEFI mode, only then are efivars available.
    In CSM mode you may need to create a protective MBR and flag boot partition bootable, otherwise BIOS may not find it. It is if you have GPT partitioning.
    As you see you need to know what you are doing, otherwise you will never get it working.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    You have to make up your mind whether you go UEFI or CSM mode. I personally do not like Grub2 and do not use it, but I do believe it has a command line switch to force UEFI mode. Of course, it is possible only when you boot in UEFI mode, only then are efivars available.
    In CSM mode you may need to create a protective MBR and flag boot partition bootable, otherwise BIOS may not find it. It is if you have GPT partitioning.
    As you see you need to know what you are doing, otherwise you will never get it working.
    i believe to have install it in not UEFI mode, it seems that i have erased some small partition that windows used to boot, now my quest is to see how can i re-create such partition on the free space that left behind, please, if you wantr to see the output of whatever comand for you to get a clearer idea of whats happening, please let me know

I do not dual boot and I do not use Grub2, so I cannot suggest a solution without digging into it first. Also I haven't used Windows for 12-13 years so I do not know what tricks are needed to boot it with anything else than its own bootloader. However, you can do this digging for yourself.
    Search net for 'Arch Grub2 Wiki' and 'Gentoo Grub2 Wiki', these two have the best documentation. And Grub2 has its own documentation online indeed.

Linux Guru
    assuming this is indeed some sort of uefi-or-not issue...
    • bunsenlabs is 99% debian oldstable, and so is its installer. check the debian wiki on how to choose between uefi and "normal" install.
    • check your bios how it boots - uefi or not
    • reinstall bunsenlabs, taking great pains to get things right this time

Just Joined!
    -->
    If it's UEFI you should be able to bypass GRUB from the BIOS boot screen, it's F9 on my HP. If it's legacy boot then you're missing the secondary boot loader on the Winblows partition. That should be repairable without reinstalling but you'll need to check Microsoft's site for the method (varies by Wintendo version.)