Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings there, i have two hard disk, 40 gb each. one is having win98 fat32 file-system.On the other i wish to dedicate 20gb to linux and keep 20 gb for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux and non-bootable windows partition on second hard disk

Greetings there,
    i have two hard disk, 40 gb each. one is having win98 fat32 file-system.On the other i wish to dedicate 20gb to linux and keep 20 gb for data common to both win/linux.

i have following doubts.
    1) should i install linux first or create the 'common data' partition

2) if i install linux first,whether i can format the win partition on my second drive thru linux and simply copy the files? will it work?

3)if i create the common data partition what type of partition will it be primary/extended-logical

4) i wish to know where to put the linux partition , the first half or the second half of my second hard disk?

5) i wish to install Fedora Core3, and also would like to have the option of trying out new distibutions of linux. how to go about the arrangement of directories under linux, to support (future) multiple linux distribution.

thanks,
    rohit.

All you need to do is install a linux on e.g. the first half of the hard drive, and leave the rest empty, they you can use linux or win to create a FAT32 partition in the second half of the hard drive as a share partition.
    If you want another linux you can make another partition for it, e.g. have 15GB for the first linux partition, then about 1000MB (or whatever about double your RAM size is) as SWAP space partition, and then have a 10GB partition for anothe linux distro and then you will have the rest for the share partition.
    I would just use primary partitions with the install.

You will be able to copy the files to the share partition from any of the win or lin partitions;

hope this helps;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

making linux partition future ready to cater multiple distro

thanks dylunio,
    now i know how to go about installing linux and the shared partition.
    though one thing still bothers me is about multiple linux distros.
    i will use the FC3 distro for my programming/surfing/e-mailing etc. i would need to try out the other disros just for seeing how they look and work. i'll be maintaing my work basically on FC3.
    (hope i am making sense!)

i have 512m ram and i know i'll be needing three basic partitions for linux as /(root) ,/boot,/swap. So out of 20gigs, whats your say on the follwing configuration?
    /swap -512M
    /boot -100M
    /(root) -10G
    remaining(~9G) future distos.

1) what to do of remaining partition(~9G)whether to keep it unused or keep it visible thru linux.
    2) also will this gap(~9G),if i keep it unused, between linux and win
    partitions will cause any problem to hard disk?
    3) also how much space does a normal distro needs so that one can have the look and feel of it? this will help me define an upper limit on no. of distros i may have at a given time!

thanks,
    rohit.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Re: making linux partition future ready to cater multiple di

Quote Originally Posted by rohitsz
    i have 512m ram and i know i'll be needing three basic partitions for linux as /(root) ,/boot,/swap. So out of 20gigs, whats your say on the follwing configuration?
    /swap -512M
    /boot -100M
    /(root) -10G
    remaining(~9G) future distos.

1) what to do of remaining partition(~9G)whether to keep it unused or keep it visible thru linux.
    2) also will this gap(~9G),if i keep it unused, between linux and win
    partitions will cause any problem to hard disk?
    3) also how much space does a normal distro needs so that one can have the look and feel of it? this will help me define an upper limit on no. of distros i may have at a given time!
    That partition table looks fine to me

1) You can format it during the install, or you can leave it as nothingness untill you want to install another distro;
    2) No the gap will not affect anything;
    3) I think you can run a distro pretty well with about 2GB or evr less, but it all depends on how many packages you want to install, but I ran SuSE 9.1 very happly on 6Gb with a tone of 700MB downloads, and a good lot of packages and games;

hope this helps;

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

overcoming windows hard disc bug

thanks again,
    one last query though, when i define partition for linux(/(root),/boot,/swap) and then if i choose to leave the shared data partition untouched then i need to make the fat32 partition for win. i read some where there is this windows bug that each drive need to have the last partiion a win partition so as to make it(the drive) recognizable under a win OS. how to overcome this?
    simply stated, how to assign the last 20G to win partition, as i guess the partitions are assigned one after the other without any gaps. correct me if i am missing some info here.

thanks,
    rohit.

I don't quite get your question, are you asking if you need th shared partition at the end of ther drive? or are you saying that you need a Windows partition at the end of the drive.

It dosn't much matter for the sare partition, but if you want to install windows on a partition it will have to be the FIRST partition on the drive.

During the install process you should be able edit the start and end cylender of each partition.

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    I don't quite get your question, are you asking if you need th shared partition at the end of ther drive? or are you saying that you need a Windows partition at the end of the drive
    i meant, is it necessary to put the windows partition at the end of the drive? i read it at the tldp.org FAQ for multiple-booting. that is why i asked.

about my second question, if i do not to touch/format the partition(~9G) for future distro's, how i am going to ensure that the shared data (win) partition goes to the end of the drive, subject to the windows hard disk bug!
    AFAIK the partitions are assigned one after the other and one can not make a jump over a partition, as i need to do it.

that is, my second drive goes like this...
    1. ~11G for FC3
    2. ~9G future distros(i don want to make this visible either thru win/lin)
    3. ~20G shared data(goes at the end b'coz of windows HDD bug)

hope i am clear this time...

thanks,
    rohit.

I've never installed FC3 so I'm not 100% sure on how the partitioning section goes, but I believe YoperLinux uses the installer. When it comes to partitioning your hard drive in the install, when creating the Share drive just make it end on the last cylinder of the Hard drive and then tell it to start on whichever cylinder is 20GB in the drive from the last cylinder.

I hope this helps;

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2