Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Booting windows gives black screen on seperate drive dual boot.

I'm dual booting Linux Mint and Windows 10 Pro, occasionally when I boot into Windows 10 from Grub, both monitors show a black but still back-lit screen. Both monitors are still receiving input, as they would usually go into sleep mode after a very short time of no input.

After testing i found that despite the blank screen, i can hit enter, input my pin, and it lets me login. My main monitor (left) remains black, but my second monitor (right) shows it's half of the desktop, I can open shortcuts on the second monitor, but they either open a plain window with no controls, or the title bar animates up onto the main monitor and then disappears. Not even task manager via ctrl+shift+esc, locking windows via Windows+L, or either the start button/start icon have any visible effect.
    If i go into my bios and move windows/its SSD to boot first instead of Ubuntu/its SSD, Windows boots fine. I've tried grub-update to no avail, as well as boot-repair.

The motherboard is an H170-Pro, cpu is Intel i5 6402p, 24GB of ram.
    Linux Mint/Grub are on a 120GB SSD in Sata express port 1
    Windows is on a 480GB SSD in Sata express port 2,
    Dvd drive on Sata port 5
    and a 2TB SSHD with no OS installed on Sata port 6.
    I tried switching which express ports Linux/Windows are plugged into with no luck.

Both monitors are plugged into a Nvidia MSI GTX 960 via Display-Port cables, switching the cables/monitors/ports changes nothing.
    Linux boots fine every time, and windows always seems to work correctly if i force shutdown with the towers power button and boot back into windows.
    Any info/screenshots will gladly be supplied.
    Last edited by Bloodied; 01-28-2018 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Culled useless info

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodied View Post
    Both monitors are plugged into a Nvidia MSI GTX 960 via Display-Port cables, switching the cables/monitors/ports changes nothing.
    if you switch back to one monitor, will it work ok?
    can you try with different cables (i.e. DVI or VGA instead of displayport)?

lastly, we will need the output of:
    Code:
    uname -rvm
    xrandr
    lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display'
    edit:
    re-reading your op, is this actually a windows problem?
    if so, you can scratch the output requested.
    the only thing i can imagine is that windows is hibernating instead of shutting down (fastboot?), which would need to be disabled when dual booting.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    if you switch back to one monitor, will it work ok?
    can you try with different cables (i.e. DVI or VGA instead of displayport)?

lastly, we will need the output of:
    Code:
    uname -rvm
    xrandr
    lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display'
    edit:
    re-reading your op, is this actually a windows problem?
    if so, you can scratch the output requested.
    the only thing i can imagine is that windows is hibernating instead of shutting down (fastboot?), which would need to be disabled when dual booting.

Fastboot is disabled, secureboot as well. Bios is up to date. In windows, it seems to reliably occur if the system is shutdown, then i turn it on and tell grub to boot windows. i have no hibernate options in windows, not that i would want them with an SSD anyways..

I tried the cables, unplugging the main monitor (left) causes the right monitor to lose its wallpaper (perhaps because the wallpaper is no longer able to span?) unplugging the second monitor (right) leaves me with an unchanged and graphically blank main display. My monitors are 2 "Lenovo - L24q-20 23.8" IPS LED QHD Monitor - Silver", my only other option, hdmi, gives the same result as DP cables.

The issue only occurs when windows is booted via grub.

Here's the output of the code you supplied, can't parse hyperlinks yet.

pastebin.com/TGdekS9H

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    -->
    Did some testing, this only occurs when i first turn on the computer and use Grub to boot into windows, if i boot Linux first windows boots fine, if i reboot into windows, it boots fine.