Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Dual boot Arch with Linux Mint

Hi everyone!

I am planning to install arch next to my Linux Mint installation. Currently Linux Mint is using up all the space, so I am panning to resize its partition with a live usb, using gparted and hope that I won't experience any data loss/system failure.
    I read that I don't need to create a new swap partition, because I can use the existing one with both of my distros.
    My question is that is one partition for Arch enough? I am pretty newbie and I just put everything into one partition. But what I mean is that do I need a bios boot partition for my arch installation? Or do I have to make its partition a bios boot partition and not a linux filesystem one? I already have GRUB working with Linux Mint, and I am not sure what to do, because if I install Arch in Virtual Box as an only distribution, I need to do a bios boot partition in order to install GRUB on it. And I don't know if I need to do it so that GRUB can detect this distro too. And if I need to, do I have to create two separate partitions: one bios boot and one ext4 linux filesystem. And if I do a separate bios boot partition do I have to format it as ext4 too? Linux Mint doesn't have a separate bios boot partition so I am not sure about it.. (my computer uses BIOS and not UEFI)

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by IgnorantIdiot View Post
    Hi everyone!

I am planning to install arch next to my Linux Mint installation. Currently Linux Mint is using up all the space, so I am panning to resize its partition with a live usb, using gparted and hope that I won't experience any data loss/system failure.
    I read that I don't need to create a new swap partition, because I can use the existing one with both of my distros.
    My question is that is one partition for Arch enough? I am pretty newbie and I just put everything into one partition. But what I mean is that do I need a bios boot partition for my arch installation? Or do I have to make its partition a bios boot partition and not a linux filesystem one? I already have GRUB working with Linux Mint, and I am not sure what to do, because if I install Arch in Virtual Box as an only distribution, I need to do a bios boot partition in order to install GRUB on it. And I don't know if I need to do it so that GRUB can detect this distro too. And if I need to, do I have to create two separate partitions: one bios boot and one ext4 linux filesystem. And if I do a separate bios boot partition do I have to format it as ext4 too? Linux Mint doesn't have a separate bios boot partition so I am not sure about it.. (my computer uses BIOS and not UEFI)

Thanks for your help!
    Hello I would like to know were I can download Linux? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by OMNI619 View Post
    Hello I would like to know were I can download Linux? Thanks

if your too dumb to be able to do a google search and find one of the loads of distro websites, your too dumb to use it. and you also appear too dumb to know to open your own thread and want to just steal someone elses. stick with your phone.

did you maybe try putting 'linux mint" or "linux ubuntu" into google and pressing enter? visiting their websites?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by habit View Post
    if your too dumb to be able to do a google search and find one of the loads of distro websites, your too dumb to use it. and you also appear too dumb to know to open your own thread and want to just steal someone elses. stick with your phone.

did you maybe try putting 'linux mint" or "linux ubuntu" into google and pressing enter? visiting their websites?
    Your mother must be the dumb ass B..... to give birth a dumb son of b... it was just a simple question if don't want to answer scroll down you don't have insults me like that's I don't even know why you got upset

Quote Originally Posted by habit View Post

Your mother must be the dumb ass B..... to give birth a dumb son of b... it was just a simple question if don't want to answer scroll down you don't have insults me like that's I don't even know why you got upset

Guys, can I get an answer to my initial question? I mean you can continue this awesome conversation afterwards, but I would like to install Arch..

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sorry man I mean you to get involved in this my apologies. I just started to learn Linux I'm a complete newbie. Thanks for this amazing group

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by IgnorantIdiot View Post
    Guys, can I get an answer to my initial question? I mean you can continue this awesome conversation afterwards, but I would like to install Arch..

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    It's very easy. Follow the installation guide, then when installing GRUB install also os-prober and mount the Mint partition, then install GRUB to the MBR (or GRUB partition) and it will automatically detect Mint.

Linux User
    Sorry man I mean you to get involved in this my apologies. I just started to learn Linux I'm a complete newbie. Thanks for this amazing group

you mean you just started to ask people to google things for you right? google to hard for you to figure out? cant type in 'how to download linux" into the box? stick with windows you retard

Linux User
    -->

There is no such thing as installing Linux. You can, however, install a Linux Distribution , for example: Linux Mint, Debian, Arch Linux, Gentoo, etc..

Start here linuxmint.com/download.php