Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How Do I Recover Windows 10 on Dual Boot MBR Disk?

I decided to try dual booting a Sony VIO Windows 10 machine to allow me to look at Android X86. I discovered the hard drive was MBR so only 4 partitions, all of which W10 seemed to be using, though from GParted booted from a Mint USB stick I could only see 3 - System Reserved, Recovery and an unlabelled one that was actually the Windows 10 C drive.
    I decided to try changing to an ext partition with two Logical sub-partitions using Partition Wizard under W10 - foolishly ignoring the warnings that this might stop Windows booting. I defined a new NTFS partition and installed Android X86, which worked, but W10 hasn't booted since. I've now converted the two Windows Logical partitions back to Primary but still no joy. Oddly, GRUB defined its Windows boot as hd(1,0), which of course doesn't exist. When I edit this back to hd(0,3) it starts to load Windows but then says it's going to load Repair tools then can't find any (even if I insert a USB containing a W10 iso).
    I'm now well out of my depth on this one, though I have other machines that dual boot Windows XP and Mint.
    Any ideas?
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by horton_brian View Post
    I decided to try dual booting a Sony VIO Windows 10 machine to allow me to look at Android X86. I discovered the hard drive was MBR so only 4 partitions, all of which W10 seemed to be using, though from GParted booted from a Mint USB stick I could only see 3 - System Reserved, Recovery and an unlabelled one that was actually the Windows 10 C drive.
    I decided to try changing to an ext partition with two Logical sub-partitions using Partition Wizard under W10 - foolishly ignoring the warnings that this might stop Windows booting. I defined a new NTFS partition and installed Android X86, which worked, but W10 hasn't booted since. I've now converted the two Windows Logical partitions back to Primary but still no joy. Oddly, GRUB defined its Windows boot as hd(1,0), which of course doesn't exist. When I edit this back to hd(0,3) it starts to load Windows but then says it's going to load Repair tools then can't find any (even if I insert a USB containing a W10 iso).
    I'm now well out of my depth on this one, though I have other machines that dual boot Windows XP and Mint.
    Any ideas?
    Brian
    yea, ask microsoft. you f*ed up windows so you need to reinstall it. have fun.

-->
    You can format the drive with other computer but I'm sure you will need to backup your data before doing it then you can download windows 10pro or any edition from Microsoft website and will have to reactivate Windows

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

$spacer_open
$spacer_close