Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've looked everywhere and can't find a Suse (8.2) ISO to save my life. All that seems to be out there are FTP installs. Do they not want their stuff ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Where to get Suse iso?

I've looked everywhere and can't find a Suse (8.2) ISO to save my life. All that seems to be out there are FTP installs. Do they not want their stuff out there for us new guys to try? (I'm looking for a few of the main Linux distros to try - I have Mandrake 9.1 (Can't install), finishing the download of RH9 and have Collage Linux in the mail).

Thanks,
    Justin

Zig
    Just Joined!
    ia m looking some place for download the pro edition too. (5 cd isos). I dont find anything yet. If you get lucky please send me a mail. Thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    SuSE is one the few distros that they want you to buy.
    I have SuSE 8.2 and let me tell you that it is not worth buying. It is a nice distro 'out of the box' but it is an absolute pita to install programs afterwards.
    Red Hat 9 is a good choice, stick with that.

Just my humble opinion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    you can get it from its ftp site, right?

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/

a mirror site should be faster than above

http://www.suse.com/us/private/downl...t_mirrors.html
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Just Joined!
    I don't mind Red Hat 8 but Mandrake 9 really ran a lot faster on my old box than Red Had does, I just can't get Mandrake 9.1 to fire up (It sticks at "Searching for added programs etc....) .. Also, have you tried Collage Linux? It's in the mail for me, I'm excited to fire it up and dink around a little. (I use an old 266 as my firewall/file server).

Thanks,
    Justin

Linux Engineer
    Suse users,

How DO you install programs on Suse? RedHat has RPM, Debian has apt. I suppose it has some method.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux User
    SuSE uses RPM as well.
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Linux Enthusiast
    yes, SuSE can use rpms as well, and let me tell you, if you haven't met the nemesis known as 'dependency hell', just go ahead and get SuSE and try to install a lot of apps and you will see what I mean.

Also, yes, I have tried College Linux, in fact I have had it installed on my backup box for a while now and I am on the development team mailing list so I get first hand info and interaction with the developers and such.

It is a great distro, you can check out my College Linux guide which is linked from my main red hat / linux guide you can find in my sig below.

BTW red hat 8 sucked royally IMHO, but 7.3 was solid and 9 is very good also.
    I always felt that MDK would just collapse every time I used it. It was glitchy and acted kinda weird. I tried several versions of it too.

Just Joined!
    I tried the mirror link for Suse and took it until I got to this one:

ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/suse/suse/i386/8.2/

And there are no iso's anywhere that I can see. Can I just burn everything in the 8.2 folder and it'll be an istall disc?...

Also, I installed RedHat 9 w/out lilo and now it's stalling at >grub or grub> I can't member which, but anyhow, can I get past this with some command? I don't know commands at all.

I also tried to install Lilo with the install disc with no luck. Should I just do a 100% install again?

Cheers,

Linux Enthusiast
    you should be able to reinstall grub over it
    there are a couple of ways to do this, you can insert the red hat cd1 and enter rescue mode and then reinstall it there, usually by:
    Code:
    #grub-install /dev/hda
    (assuming you want it on your main primary master hd)

as well, you can check out this site for further reference on grub:

http://www.geocities.com/cyberkabila...install%20GRUB

or you can do an upgrade of your current system, i know this sounds work, but it can work, you insert your red hat cd1 the same way as above but this time, select the upgrade option and just go through the steps (you can even Deselect any packages that it tries to add) then make sure you pick grub as your bootloader then continue on through the process and it should overwrite the mbr with grub and you should be all set.

I don't know why it screwed up in the first place so there might be another issue, but that is what can normally solve a messed up bootloader install.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast