Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've been trying to install linux on my system, but I keep running into difficulties because none of the installers seem to recognize my RAID 0 set. I've already ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't seem to Install Linux on a SiI 3112 sata RAID 0

Hi, I've been trying to install linux on my system, but I keep running into difficulties because none of the installers seem to recognize my RAID 0 set. I've already posted to the "Hardware/Peripherals" forum, but perhaps this would be a more appropriate forum. My original post can be read here http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-32009.html.

So far, it seems that every distro I've tried sees my RAID as two independent drives. I've tried FC3, but google seems to tell me that it's just not going to work without a driver disk, but the only driver disk that I've manage to find is for Redhat. I tried it anyways, but further googling leads me to understand that Fedora and Redhat have completely different setups for their driver disks, so it's no real surprise that it didn't work.

My next attempt was to use Mandrake 10.1, since the SiI 3112 RAID controller is listed on their website as "compatible". The installer, however, still shows my two drives independently. The size of the partitions on the RAID shows up properly, but they all show up on sda. After installing to the proper partition, GRUB and LILO both freeze at startup.

I've also been playing around with knoppix 3.7, and I noticed that when booted from CD, it recognizes my RAID, and I can both read and write to it. When I try to install knoppix using the knoppix-installer shell command, it sees my hard drives separately.

Is there ANY distro that can install to a SiI 3112 RAID 0 array, or am I stuck with booting knoppix from CD?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    My Redhat 9 download finally finished - at least the first CD, but that's was enough to determine that it CAN recognize my RAID. I used the same driver disk that I originally tried with FC3, and surprise surprise, redhat supports a redhat driver disk!

That being said, the past several days spent struggling and googling has somewhat soured my opinion of Linux, but I suppose that my ire should be directed towards the hardware manufacturers for not providing drivers for more distributions.

I'm sure I'll post again with another crisis soon enough.

Just Joined!
    posted twice for some strange reason - ignore

My Redhat 9 download finally finished - at least the first CD, but that's was enough to determine that it CAN recognize my RAID. I used the same driver disk that I originally tried with FC3, and surprise surprise, redhat supports a redhat driver disk!

That being said, the past several days spent struggling and googling has somewhat soured my opinion of Linux, but I suppose that my ire should be directed towards the hardware manufacturers for not providing drivers for more distributions.

I'm sure I'll post again with another crisis soon enough.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close