Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have w2k isntall on a 20 MB hardrive in my laptop, the partition for windows is only 10 MB and the other 10 is just non-partitioned space. I used ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Booting to Linux

I have w2k isntall on a 20 MB hardrive in my laptop, the partition for windows is only 10 MB and the other 10 is just non-partitioned space. I used the free space to install Linux (Red Hat) from a CD and the installation went well, the problem now is that I need a dual boot menu to bring up Linux, otherwise the system will boot to windows directly.
    The install guide talks about a program called LILO that suppose to be an option during install tha will provide the dual boot menu, that option never showed during the install. My laptop don't have a floppy drive so booting from there is not an option. Can anyone help? Any ideas.

Thanks
    narce.

~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Enthusiast
    I strongly reccomend Grub over LILO, since if you screw up the config for Grub, you can edit it inside of grub instead of having to boot a rescue disk.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    I strongly reccomend Grub over LILO, since if you screw up the config for Grub, you can edit it inside of grub instead of having to boot a rescue disk.
    Totally agree with that
    So u should boot on linux (if u can) then from linux install grub not very difficult (Nerdello writes a good tut on this site).
    Btw if I remember well RH asks if u prefer grub or lilo so the question of the bootloader has to be asked to u if not, ur cd may be corrupted for example try with a more recent distro like FC 3...