Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey - im new to the fourum, names bill or the cello dude (im obsessed) anyways heres my problem I recieved a 3 disk set from my mad man ian. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Why does my computer not support Long mode? and what is it?

hey - im new to the fourum, names bill or the cello dude (im obsessed)

anyways heres my problem

I recieved a 3 disk set from my mad man ian. and its Manrake 10.1, the one made for AMD processors (x-- somthing?) anyways that is what i have, an old a** AMD Athlong (about 900-1001 mhz or somthing like that) so he and i both thought that this was the good version. I booted the computer with the disk but when i went to install it gave me this messege:

"YOUR CPU DOES NOT SUPPORT LONG MODE. USE 32 BIT DISTROBUTION"

Does this mean that i need the other one? the one not made for AMD? even though i have AMD?

Im a current Windows ME User....(god help me)... and am pissed off at the fact that ive done about 10 system restores since i bought the computer

what is long mode anyways?

Linux Engineer
    you're using the 64 bit version, and you have a 32 bit processor. someone prolly though "amd64" was suitable for all amd's but it's not. the" i386" or "x86" is the version you want. it'll work on 32 bit processors for both intel and amd.

and windows me...wow...

thanks dude

Hey thanks for the info, ill have my man ian gimme the disks, right now im running on a bootable disk called "Local Area Security" so untill i get the disks im stuck with that (not saying its not fun )

Peace

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    x86 is the generic term for 32-bit PC processors, including all makes of intel and amd that are 32-bit.
    i386, i586, and i686 refer to more specific sublevels of x86, but nearly all modern processors are at least i686 by now.

amd64 / ia64 is for amd 64-bit processors only.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    x86 is the generic term for 32-bit PC processors, including all makes of intel and amd that are 32-bit.
    i386, i586, and i686 refer to more specific sublevels of x86, but nearly all modern processors are at least i686 by now.

amd64 / ia64 is for amd 64-bit processors only.
    i used win me before on my 466 cel nothing but headaches went to 98se no prob then went to xp pro no prob then xp/xandros no prob amazing what you can do with a celeron especially that old of one and i use it for gaming to my new board just arrived and guess what i'm going to use for cpu? you guessed it celeron d i have used amd before and i did'nt care for the 64 bit sys because of the price plus i can over clock the celerons and still get 7 years of service good luck on your 64 bit sys