Find the answer to your Linux question:
Compac Armada 100S, 192 MB RAM, 500 MHz, suse 9.2. When I start it up it shows the message "hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 2" across the screen. Sometimes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 2

Compac Armada 100S, 192 MB RAM, 500 MHz, suse 9.2. When I start it up it shows the message "hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 2" across the screen. Sometimes it gets stuck and I have to restart ad sometimes it starts the os. Once started it is very slow and uses almost all my mem.
    What to do?

Linux Newbie
    I am not sure about the hub error you mentioned, but SuSe is sluggish because your system barely makes the minimum cut for system requirements.

http://www.novell.com/products/linux...l/sysreqs.html

The recommended memory is 256mb... not much you can do in that department save for buying more memory, and probably getting a better processor too.

There are other linux distrobutions that will run much better on that kind of system. I would suggest yoper, debian, slackware, maybe even gentoo. Stay away from Fedora Core, SuSe, and Mandrake. If you do decide to go with one of the recommended distrobutions, use a less system-intensive GUI, try fluxbox. Stay away from GNOME and KDE.

Robert Peaslee
    Taking a walk on the wonderful path computers have lain before me

Just Joined!
    the hub message is to do with hot plugging usb ports
    so this souldn't afect you memory usage

but for a better start up try unplugging all usb devices
    wait untill you loaded up and mount one by one.

you might also want to cut down on the apps running at start time.