Find the answer to your Linux question:
when I first installed linux, it seemed to run up fine. But then when I rebooted, I got a 99 99 99 99 99.... error. So I dumped everything and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LINUX 99 error

when I first installed linux, it seemed to run up fine. But then when I rebooted, I got a 99 99 99 99 99.... error. So I dumped everything and reformatted my harddrives. yet now I cant detect my dsl modem. I try reinstalling the driver and it tells me that I need to connect the usb cable even though it is installed. I have tried uninstalling the driver and I cant do that nor can I reinstall the driver. Now I reinstalled Win XP but I didnt have any of these problems until trying to install Linux. Please Help! Thanx.

Linux Enthusiast
    what linux?
    what bootloader?
    floppy boot?
    need wayyy more info on this

Just Joined!
    66th was actually posting on my behalf, as I no longer have access to the internet with my DSL. I'm using a 56k modem to connect now

Anyway, I've used Linux before, but never installed it and decided that the time had come for me to install it on my system and make it a dual boot.

My system:

Athlon 1.4ghz
    Epox 8RDA+ Mobo
    768mb Crucial DDR
    Leadtek GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64mb
    WD 10gig HDD (Used for Win XP Pro)
    Samsung 80gig HDD (Used for games etc, also had a linux partition)

So, the other day, I downloaded Mandrake 9.1 and installed it, all went very smoothly, I was up and running in next to no time. When booting the machine, I could choose my OS, Windows XP was running fine, and Linux was great. It was late, so I decided to turn off and hit the sack.

Next morning, I powered up my system, selected Linux then finished setting it up. I had to reboot the system, the Linux shutdown was fine, but then when the system was posting again, it got the the DMI check and then the problem occured. I can't remember exactly what it said, but it was something like ...

/d 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 etc etc etc .. a lot more 99's

It then stopped and said, Failed to load OS.

I restarted the machine, thinking that it was just a temp glitch, but it happened again. I decided to start over from scratch, totally reformat everything again, clear my CMOS, then start over.

My main problem at the moment, is the fact that I can't get my DSL up and running again. I've installed the modem driver as usual, and when I plug in the USB plug, the modem would normally spring to life, and the driver installation would be complete. But now, I plug in the modem, and I get a new pop up that tells me to plug the USB lead into the back of the modem .. but it's already plugged in.

I've managed to get most of my machine up and running now, XP is running etc, but without my DSL, oh life will be miserable.

Any infomation on what could have caused this 99 problem, and info on how to get my DSL modem working again, if Linux is the cause of my problem .. I'd really appreciate any help at all .. this has really got me stumped.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Are you saying that the modem doesn't even work in Windows anymore? Can you (in linux) plug the modem in and run /sbin/lsusb (as root) and post what it says?

Just Joined!
    Since everything screwed up, I reformatted everything, I now only have Win XP Pro running on my system, and the modem won't install or run now. I can't check to see if it's working on Linux, as I don't have it on my system any more.

Linux Enthusiast
    maybe it's a hardware problem then

Linux Engineer
    Cool picture juggalo....have you done it yourself?

Regards
    Regards

Andutt