Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am tryin to install RH 9.0 onto a HD using 3 CD's with the iso files on them.... I put the bootdisk.img file onto the first disk and made ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cd-Rom install

I am tryin to install RH 9.0 onto a HD using 3 CD's with the iso files on them.... I put the bootdisk.img file onto the first disk and made sure that my computer is booting from the CD-Rom first.... Is this wrong? If so what files or file am i supposed to have and could you show me where...

Linux Guru
    After downloading the 3 ISO's, use an application such as "Nero" on windows. The burn wizard allows you to burn ISO's correctly to CD, just copying the .iso file directly to the CD wont work.

After doing that for all 3cd's, put the first CD in the pc you want to install linux on, and restart the PC.

The installation program should then begin automagically.

If you want, i can post up instructions for buring the ISO's correctly with Nero.

Jason

Just Joined!

yes...

That would be my problem then i guess...I have seen many things on the forums and other places on creating a correct CD ...however...the only things i saw were cd creator and soem thing calles X something... I do have nero so if you could post thst it woudl be perfect...Much appreciated...

Linux Guru
    1) Download the 3 english .iso files, and save it on your hard disk. (i think youve done this).

2) Once it has finished downloading, open Nero. You should automatically see a burn CD wizard. If you do not, click on the left most icon directly beneth the "file" menu, then click wizard.

3) Once in the wizard, select "Compile a new CD", and click next.

4) Choose "Other CD formats", and click next.

5) Choose "Create a CD from an Image file" and click next

6) It will then say "you are about to burn a cd.. blah blah blah," just click finish

7) Go to the folder that you downloaded the .iso file to, and double click on the .iso file.

8.) Make sure you have a dot in "Burn" and select your write speed, then click "burn".

9) Once the CD has been written, repeat for other 2 .izso's.

10) restart the PC with CD 1 in the drive, and linux should now load.

Jason

Just Joined!

umm......

New problem... after installing completely I reboot and after it gets done with all boot processes... the screen goes blank... and then i get a screen that looks like the graphis are messed up....what can i do to fix this without reinstalling?

Linux Guru

Re: umm......

Quote Originally Posted by FatherBoard
    New problem... after installing completely I reboot and after it gets done with all boot processes... the screen goes blank... and then i get a screen that looks like the graphis are messed up....what can i do to fix this without reinstalling?
    What boot processes?

does linux load? do you see a load of "linux" related text before the messed up graphics?

Jason

Just Joined!

Yes..IC al the text with the ok's and then after it is done.... i cn vaugly see it says red hat linux...I think it woudl have to be with the resolution i picked.... but i chose the compaq persario monitor i am using....and this monitor worked for madrake...with the same option i chose for this... so i dont knwo what is wrong... If you want a easier way to contact me you can IM me on AIM @ Player7up

Linux Guru
    Ok, when you get to the screen with messed up graphics, hit:
    CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE which should then drop you to a non-graphical login.

Enter username root, and the root password you chose during install.

then run "xf86config" which is a simple wizard that allows you to reconfgure your Xdisplay settings.

For safety, i would say when asked, choose the generic VESA compatible driver.

You may have to run it a couple of times to get the correct settings.

Jason