Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks!! Recently, my Gentoo died (1 minute of silence please xD). I posted in may places for answers but didn't get away with a solution. So i decided to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Re-Installing without /sbin/lilo

Hi folks!!

Recently, my Gentoo died (1 minute of silence please xD). I posted in may places for answers but didn't get away with a solution. So i decided to reinstalling it again. In fact i wouldn't mind installin t over and over again, the only problem is that i have on the same machine the motherf*cking WindozeXP......and i REALLY REALLY hate installing WinbugsXP.

I use LILO, and i always have this problem that if i have dual boot with LILO working fine and i make a new installation and /sbin/lilo to the MBR, i CANNOT boot anymore the Winbugs partition. Don't know why, i just now that always happens no matter wich distro i use.

And my question is.... if making THIS BELOW the *thing* will work...

1-format the / and /boot partition

2-I make the SAME Gentoo installation that was before BUT during the installation i make the SAME lilo.conf and DO NOT /sbin/lilo

3-Will Gentoo and WinbugsXP boot again???

PD: resuming,...repeat the same steps for installation but i omit installing LILO to the MBR and make the same lilo.conf that was before......All archives, kernel image, kernel map, bla bla bla in the same place the *old* LILO in the MBR had before...

any answer is really apreciated and thanked in advance!!!

ni theroy it should if all the settings are the same if u dont install windows or run fixmbr from the winblows cd between the last time that u /sbin/lilo and the time that u installed linux again and the name of the kernel and all other info is exactly the same as was at the time that u last did a /sbin/lilo
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    loft306: i really thank you those airs of hopes....
    i'll try to make it, will post the results soon..

i really thank you for your comment!!!!!!!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    You could use Grub instead, which I reccomend doing anyways.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050