Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I've got a lot spare time so I decided to build an LFS. All went smoothly till I tried to install expect 5.42.1: Code: pc236:/mnt/lfs/sources/expect-5.42 # make SCRIPTS='' install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

[LFS]Problem while installing expect

Hello
    I've got a lot spare time so I decided to build an LFS. All went smoothly till I tried to install expect 5.42.1:
    Code:
    pc236:/mnt/lfs/sources/expect-5.42 # make SCRIPTS='' install
    make: Warning: File `expect' has modification time 1.3e+04 s in the future
    make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/expect-5.42'
    Making binaries in testsuite...
    make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/expect-5.42/testsuite'
    make[2]: Nothing to be done for `binaries'.
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/expect-5.42/testsuite'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/expect-5.42'
    ./mkinstalldirs /tools/lib/expect5.42
    if [ -s libexpect5.42.a ] ; then \
      /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 libexpect5.42.a
    /tools/lib/expect5.42/libexpect5.42.a ; \
      ranlib /tools/lib/expect5.42/libexpect5.42.a ; \
      /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 libexpect5.42.a /tools/lib/libexpect5.42.a ; \
      ranlib /tools/lib/libexpect5.42.a ; \
    else true; fi
    if [ -s reconfigure_Tcl_for_shared_library ] ; then \
      /usr/bin/install -c reconfigure_Tcl_for_shared_library
    /tools/lib/reconfigure_Tcl_for_shared_library ; \
      /usr/bin/install -c pkgIndex /tools/lib/expect5.42/pkgIndex.tcl ; \
    else true; fi
    gcc -pipe    -Wl,--export-dynamic -o expect_installed exp_main_exp.o
    -L/tools/lib -lexpect5.42 -L/tools/lib -ltcl8.4  -ldl  -lieee -lm
    -lutil-Wl,-rpath,/tools/lib:/tools/lib
    gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `-m': No such file or directory
    make: *** [expect_installed] Error 1
    pc236:/mnt/lfs/sources/expect-5.42 #
    I'm building it from a Suse 9.2 pro and my box is an x86_64 does anyone got an idea?
    Thx

Linux Enthusiast
    I have a friend who tried LFS. While I *think* he eventually got the toolchain to compile, I'll tell you right now it's almost never worth it.
    A stage1 install of Gentoo offers most if not all of the important advantages of LFS without the incredible headaches of LFS. You still get to learn a lot about the system, especially if you decide to tweak everything.

As for the problem, I'm not sure, but it seems as though the makefile wasn't made correctly.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    I have a friend who tried LFS. While I *think* he eventually got the toolchain to compile, I'll tell you right now it's almost never worth it.
    It IS worth it if you make it worth it. Which is why I do it EVERY time I need or want to install Linux on a machine.

Are you in the temporary toolchain chapter or the making the real thing chapter? You might try using 'make -k install' to ignore the error and keep going as much as possible or even the -i option it it's place, but it might not work right if you do. The errors says it's a gcc error, you might also try reinstalling gcc. I think expect is only used for the tests anyway, the tests can probably be skipped (I don't bother running the tests, heh).

So if you can't get it going, you might just skip it and come back to it later.

Linux Enthusiast
    How is it worth all the time to figure out LFS when you can get nearly every single even remotely useful advantage of LFS from Gentoo?
    And when it comes to package management, you need something. Just installing stuff on your own gets to be a real pain when it comes to updating packages.
    Even my friend is going to use portage from gentoo.

Linux User
    Valan: thx for the tips I will try it and tell u the result.
    I'm just at the beginning (not the real thing tough).
    As far as gentoo: I install for a friend from stage 1: awfully boring, u've only got to copy/paste the right commands from the books, I don't learn a lot ...
    LFS it's really an other dimension, and I think it worth it

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    How is it worth all the time to figure out LFS when you can get nearly every single even remotely useful advantage of LFS from Gentoo? And when it comes to package management, you need something. Just installing stuff on your own gets to be a real pain when it comes to updating packages. Even my friend is going to use portage from gentoo.
    Package managent stuff is one of the things I hate about distros... I don't need it and I don't want it. I like doing everything the hard way.

Linux Enthusiast
    Even for updates of a large number of packages?
    And if you follow by the book, sure Gentoo Stage 1 doesn't teach you much about boot-up and stuff.
    You can edit the stuff you want though without the headaches.

Something done more common than most might thinkg is using gentoo's bootstrap script to build a basic toolchain. Or trying a more LFS style system just using emerge program instead of

tar
    cd
    ./configure
    make
    make isntall

75 times

But its personal preferance, his point about package managment is a VERY valid one, even an incredably minimal LFS installation includes some 75 packages, most likely closer to 100, 20 some of those are pretty static, but thats alot of packages to managae, not just keeping track of versions and if you have the most up-to-date, but actualy updating can be a major difficulty. I do understand what you mean with the handbook to a degree, but If you installed gentoo by just copy and pasting, then you missed the point of the handbook, it offers code examples, but all the possible variables in make.conf and such are quite some work, and lots of gentoo systems use so many custom packages, they are more LFS with portage installed than the other way around. But, its your choice. but after a month or 2, you might notice about %15 of your packages will have upgrades avilable, its just the time you want to put into it.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    I've never installed or used Gentoo, so I'm not so qualified to argue much about it, so I won't. But I'll say that I like to update everything by hand. I like to have complete control of everything. That's something that I can do when not using any "make it easier" tools like package managers. I'm not worried about running bleeding-edge everything, so it's really no bother. And likely you shouldn't if you're paranoid about security. I'm checking for updates constantly (not all at once though, that might get to be overwhelming), but nothing will go more than 3-4 months without a needed (or wanted) upgrade. Keeping updated is really no bother for me. Only thing I'm checking every few days is the kernel (I got a script to let me know about that, though). I'm still running Gnome 2.2. I updated once and I was sorry, if you saw my post a little while back about me being all pissed off and deleting /usr, well updating Gnome led to that...

A base LFS install is actually under 50 packages, if that's what you wanna call em. And they aren't all things that you need to bother updating very often.

So Gentoo is a copy paste book? That's what LFS could easily be if you don't bother actually reading it and taking the time to figure out what you're doing. That's a mistake, I've seen people just do the copy paste thing and get kinda far in it, then they get to something and it's not installing right, and they don't even know wtf they did to be able to have any reference to fix it. Yeah, I screwed up my first LFS install, but I knew what I was doing so I was able to fix it. I now use the book as a reference, not as a guide, now that I know a lot more what all needs to be done. I should probably get Gentoo one day just to see what it's all about so I'm able to argue back at these Gentoo people

Well, I'm gonna stop blabbing about meaningless stuff now, that happens when I need sleep.

I used Gentoo for a while, before version 1.0 . And I had several LFS installations as well.
    If you want to compare Gentoo to LFS: Gentoo is LFS for noobs. You will learn a few things installing Gentoo but that's mainly how to setup and use the package manager, so the learning experience cannot be compared with LFS if you read the comments in the book as well.

I see Stormblazer being enthusiast about Gentoo in a lot of topics lately. I'm glad he's very happy with his distro but I do not want to read it in every topic on this forum.

I switched back to Slackware after running Gentoo for some 6 months or so. I deleted it because of stability issues, the very slow bugfixing and the endless recompiling. If you want to compile a lot and keep compiling then use Gentoo. If you want to use your computer; better look for something else.
    I\'m so tired .....