Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have the alcatel speedtouch usb adsl modem and the problem is i can't connect to the internet using RH9. Another problem is that the internet service provider in my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Usb Adsl Problems!

I have the alcatel speedtouch usb adsl modem and the problem is i can't connect to the internet using RH9. Another problem is that the internet service provider in my country (Cyprus) gives instructions to connect using a fake dialup (in WinXP). By this i mean that you first make a dialup connection like you do using a 56k modem and then via internet site you connect to the net. Make a modem dialup connection and select the adsl modem instead of 56k modem. Its like a normal connection only you use a adsl modem. Plz if anyone knows how to make this work under linux msg me!

Linux Enthusiast
    I have set up some dsl systems for red hat 9, can you tell me exactly what you tried so far?

Just Joined!
    Well i downloaded a walkthrough from the net (www.webconexion.net/speedtouch/) and done everything on that but i couldn't get it to work. I found in winxp that my countrys VPI is 8 and VCI is 35. Like i said the problem is not only getting linux to identify the modem is also not to use it as a real adsl modem but as a common modem and make a connection like a dialup we do in windows calling 90901600. I don't want the connection to be started automatically but manually. Like in win when you make a dialup and the 2 lights flash at the right corner of the screen i want something like that. Then i go to www.i-choice.com.cy (internal web page that does not need real connecton) and log in through there to the net. Whetever password and username i put to the dialup does not matter. The real pass must be placed only to the webpage.

Linux Enthusiast
    have you tried using the internet configuration wizard and putting in the real username and password there? linux works differently so it might work, if not it sounds like quite the unique situation and getting support for linux with it from the modem company will be hard, you might want to email them as an individual and ask them

feel free to post your progress in here though, someone may think of a solution.