Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
About 10 days ago I installed RH9. I decided to go for workstation install. I choose quite a few programs that I don't need . One of them was bind ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Add/Remove packages not removing

About 10 days ago I installed RH9. I decided to go for workstation install. I choose quite a few programs that I don't need . One of them was bind and I don't need a name server so I want to get rid of it. I also wanted to uninstall Apache because it is giving me some problems.

I am using the Add/remove programs tool and I do what seems the most logical, I uncheck the DNS and Web server. The number next to the program name sets itself to 0 and the details option dissappears

I click update and I get the message

Packages Not Found

The following packages could not be found on your system. Installation cannot continue until they are installed. It lists redhat-config-bind and redhat-config-httpd

The packages are still there as I can use the tools and they show up when I rpm -q

I am not sure why it says installation cannot continue when I am trying to uninstall??

So I recheck all the options for DNS and Httpd again and install it. When I try to remove it afterwards it does exactly the same thing.
    So I deleted the redhat-config for bind and httpd manually and afterwards it worked fine.
    I also want to delete the games and same thing happens again. Can't remember the files but it is pain if I have to remove them manually fiirst

Why would it be doing this and are there better ways of doing this?

Cheers

Linux Engineer
    Do in a terminal instead of the admin gui. as root do this command...

Code:
    rpm -e <packagename>
    to unitstall packages and..

Code:
    rpm -qa <packagename>
    to query the rpm-database and

Code:
    rpm -ivh <packagename>
    to install packages and

Code:
    rpm -Uvh -<packagename>
    To upgrade only packages that you have installad already. There is a bouch och arguments you can add to the rpm-command, use man rpm to see what you can do.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Enthusiast
    yeah, I would suggest the term also, the add/remove package tool is kinda new for red hat - at least in that particular format anyway and I have talked to people who have had some issues with it. It's a great idea, but need a bit of work. It seems to work best for removing minor packages or installing the same.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It's a great idea for sure. I was pleased to see it but it is not working the way it should yet. As this been acknowledged by RH?
    I have also noticed that when you uncheck items and uninstall them that they appear to be checked again afterwards, although it did not happen every time.

I had some problems over the last three days but I am still really excited about Linux

Linux Enthusiast
    it all depends on the packages
    I don't really use it though, I guess I am just used to removing things via "rpm -e filename"

I'll think I will do the same from now on. Maybe someone can explain the following to me

Why is it that when I run
    Code:
    rpm -e freeciv-1.1.-10-6
    I get error: package freeciv-1.1.-10-6 is not installed

bit it is listed when I run
    Code:
    rpm -qa freeciv-1.1.-10-6
    I noticed the same thing last week so when it told me that it was not installed I tried to install and than it said it was installed? Why is that

I su into root when I do these things

Linux Enthusiast
    you just need to enter the package name, not the whole filename.

ie - rpm -e freeciv

OK. That makes sense. Never thought of it.
    One more question regarding uninstalling though,

If I want to uninstall a package that shares dependecies with another package I can do a --force. That was obviously cause problems for that other package. The one I wanted to delete was kde-games and it shares independecies with kde-addons.

Is there a command that tells me what kde-addons actually does so I know what I am deleting is not critical.

Cheers

Linux Enthusiast
    you can find a bit more info on it here:

http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/project.php

although not much, and a bit more here:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...submit=Search+...

I really don't know why you would want to delete the games, they don't take up an inordinate amount of space and it will way more hassle than its worth the delete them, just mho though.

Space is no problem. Just practicing deleting packages

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast