Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have an IBM Thinkpad T20. Currently I have a Windows 2000 partition and a Redhat 7.3 partition. I wanted to update the Redhat OS to Fedora 3. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dr-dos starts instead of install

Hello,

I have an IBM Thinkpad T20. Currently I have a Windows 2000 partition and a Redhat 7.3 partition. I wanted to update the Redhat OS to Fedora 3. I select partitions from a LILO boot loader.

I downloaded and burned the 4 CDs and verified them using md5sum on the Thinkpad. When I try to boot from the first CD (FC3-i386-disc1.iso), it starts up DR-DOS.

I assumed it would boot some kind of Fedora setup, recognize my partitions, and attempt to upgrade the Linux partition. I don't know how to start the Fedora setup from DR-DOS or why I am even there.

I am not an expert and am very confused. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

- Dave -

DR-DOS, my, I haven't heard anybody talk about that for years! I've even used it (pip etc.).

When you say that DR-DOS is started, what (exactly) does the screen look like? What should happen is that your PC sees an OS in the CD drive and has been told (by the BIOS) to boot from that first (before looking at the hard disk).

You should then get a text only welcome screen with a (I think) "Linux" or "Boot" at the command prompt. Then, if you do nothing after 10 seconds it will automatically boot into the installer and away you go. You do have the option of enetering something in at the command / boot prompt and these options are spelt out by pressing the F1, F2, and F3 keys (which also stops the 10 second count down). Simply pressing enter at the command/boot prompt should also start the install process.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!

dr-dos starts instead of install

I solved the problem.

I am using Nero StartSmart on a PC to do the burning. They have several different menus to burn disks. I chose "Make Bootable Disk" under the Data menu. Sounds right doesn't it? Nope. That puts the image on, but somehow adds DR-DOS. When I put this disk in my Linux machine it shows just the image as a file. I do an md5sum and it generates the correct sum, which I don't understand. Somehow it ignores the DR-DOS or something.

The correct Nero option is "Burn Image" under the Copy and Backup menu. When I put that in my Linux machine, I see all the files on the CD, rather than just the image. It also generates the correct sum.

I appreciate your response and am now trying the install..

Just Joined!

Nice One

Nice one mate. Was having the exact same problem untill i found your posting. Cheers

Likewise, thank you for posting how to do it, i have been trying for days. i found out that i had the wrong type only a couple of days ago and now just got the motivation to download the correct version and try to figure out how to install it. Thanks for the post

Just Joined!

thanks

thanks for the help, i would have spent days going crazy

Just Joined!

Thanks

Thanks so much dave_sf - I've been fighting with the same problem for almost 3 days - u're a genius