Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I searched the forum aleady and have gone thru about eleventy billion thread but have not found 'the' answer. Anyway, I just recently added Lorma Linux to my hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

help configuring grub

Ok, I searched the forum aleady and have gone thru about eleventy billion thread but have not found 'the' answer.

Anyway, I just recently added Lorma Linux to my hard drive where I had College Linux installed using Lilo. When I installed Lorma Linux, I replaced the mbr with grub and even configured grub during the install.

I know that College Linux is on /dev/hda5 cuz Lorma boots fine and I mounted College in a directory I created to make sure I had the right partition. The CL partition is an extended partiion and it has worked fine. When I installed Lorma, I created another / partition and shared the swap file.
    The problem is that CL won't boot now. It is probably something simple that I am missing.

Anyway, here is my grub.conf file:

grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    # root (hd0,1)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
    # initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=1
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Lorma-Linux (2.4.20-13.9)
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-13.9 ro root=LABEL=/1
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-13.9.img
    title College-Linux
    rootnoverify (hd0,5)
    chainloader +1
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    "grub.conf" 19L, 634C

I have already made sure that College Linux is set to (hd0,5) but it still won't boot. I only have one hard drive on this box.

Any assistance in getting this to boot would be appreciated. College Linux does come up on the grub boot menu when I start but it won't boot. There is a kernel panic.

I have also installed Vector Linux Soho but it isn't listed in the grub boot menu. There was nowhere to set it up during the install and if it is the same as Vector 3.2 (small) then it probably uses lilo which I don't want to use.

Anyway, here are my partitions:

hda5 boot logical ext2 size = 8003.17 -----------college linux
    hda6 logical swap size = 296.12 -------------swap
    hda2 primary ext2 size = 6292.34 --------------lorma linux
    hda3 primary ext2 size = 6818.76 --------------vector linux soho edition
    free space = primary 9426.18

I know the partitioning is kinda weird, I wasn't planning on making this a multiboot, but it ended up that way.
    Can anyone help me out with creating the specific entries I need to make in grub.conf so I can have access to all distros?

Thanks in advance.

Linux Guru
    GRUB numbers partitions from 0 while Linux numbers them from 1. Therefore hda5 in Linux is (hd0,4) in GRUB. You have been trying to boot you swap partition... However, have you really installed a boot loader in the boot sector of hda5?

Linux Enthusiast
    it said it was bootable by default
    it probably did install lilo to hda5 when I installed College linux first which explains why it is marked that way.

and it was originally marked as (hd0,4) but it didn't work, so that's why I changed it.
    I will try it again.
    Thanks for input.
    Any idea of what I would need to do to create one for Vector now - do the same thing as College? cuz the last time I checked it didn't work, but like I said, I will try it again with (hd0,4)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    update - made the change from (hd0,5) to (hd0,4) and got this:

rootnoverify (hd0,4)
    chainloader +1
    error 13: invalid or unsupported executable format
    press any key to continue... (to be annoyed, lol)

Linux Guru
    Did you say that you had LILO on hda5? Maybe LILO doesn't have the right boot sector signature or something. Try chainloader --force +1 instead.

Linux Enthusiast
    yes lilo is on there - i didn't remove it and if it wasn't overwritten by grub then i guess it remains, i'll that suggestion, thanks