Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having various problems with all the distros I download. I've had a dual boot on my computer before with Red Hat 8 and Win XP Currently I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems installing any distro of linux (Red Hat 8,9 and Sus

I am having various problems with all the distros I download.
    I've had a dual boot on my computer before with Red Hat 8 and Win XP
    Currently I have Red Hat 8 and 9, as well as SuSE, the problem I am running into is that all of them will fail to boot up for installation, Red hat will try to install via anaconda, and then in the prompt it say Window X has sucessfully loaded. however I will then recieve an error and and it terminates for reboot. Ive had Red Hat 8 on the system before, Ive even preformed media checks on all the disc, and all past but still no Linux

Linux Enthusiast
    have you checked the md5sums?
    tried using a cd-rw disc instead?
    do you have the necessary partitions?

Just Joined!
    currently, I have a 100 (95real gig ) Gig WD HD and I have the first 89 gig set aside for win xp and the other for 6 set aside for LINUX. I just left the last 6 gigs un partitioned from windows. I was able to use red hat to Auto partition it before.. I will try your advice on using cd-rws, but I did have red hat 8.0 that gave me no problems until now.... How would I do the "check sum" on the distros?

Thanx again

Linux Enthusiast
    see here for verifying:
    http://linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html

also, I know it sounds weird about the cd-rw idea, but it has worked for me.
    did you leave the space as 'unallocated" or unpartitioned, if it is the same thing, then no worries, but when I use partition magic, it says 'unallocated'.