Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I've just installed grub and it seemed to be working fine. I enetered all the commands at the grub> prompt to load knoppix and it worked and i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cant display the menu in grub

Hi all.

I've just installed grub and it seemed to be working fine. I enetered all the commands at the grub> prompt to load knoppix and it worked and i then tried doing it with windows and yet again it worked. I created /boot/grub/grub.conf and put the commands in but when i restarted i didnt get a menu selection screen like i thought i would but still the grub> prompt. If i type in

grub> configfile (hd0,4)/boot/grub/grub.conf

then the menu screen is loaded but unfortunately it isnt loaded at the beginning like id of liked.

Btw there is no problem with the grub.conf file i made. I just cant get grub to load it at the beginning.

I also tried reinstalling grub by doing

# grub-install /dev/hda

but that made no difference. Anyone know why grub isnt loading the configfile straight away to load the menu?

Also i dont seem to have the /boot/grub/grub.conf file, does anyone have this that they can send me please? Thanks

curious.

When you did the "# grub-install /dev/hda" command, had you booted onto the the linux on (hd0,4) ? I ask as when you do that command, it looks to the /boot/grub folder that is being sed at the time to set itself to. In other words, be on the same linux that you want grub to use, when yopu do the grub-install command.

As to your last request, have a look at the tutorial section of this forum and you'll find a post on solving boot problems with grub. At or near the bottom is a sample /boot/grub/grub.conf file that you may like to have a look at.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply

I have managed to fix this problem now. All i did was rename grub.conf to menu.lst and it worked fine.

Do you know where i can get the splash screen from?

Thanks for your help

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    as in it is not loading? if so put this line in menu.lst or grub.conf after the timeout line and before the first title line
    Code:
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    ofcourse the (hd0,0) being the part which you have /boot on
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    no no its not that. I dont actually have the file.

Thanks

*loft306 scratches head.............hmmm... did u nuke it? or did grub not come with one?
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org