Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to install a new linux, but first I have to make a 4 gig partition for it. And I need help partitioning. I want to install red hat ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

partition magic help

I want to install a new linux, but first I have to make a 4 gig partition for it. And I need help partitioning. I want to install red hat but anyway, when I say create a new partition, it asks me several questions and I need help answereing them. First is what should is be formatted as. it says Linux Ext2, Linux Ext3. Linux Swap, NTFS, Fat32, or Fat. I would chose Linux Ext3 is I was going to install linux on it right? and then it says logical or primary, and i should pick logical right? I want a dual boot of course. and for label its dafe to say nothing, I think, right? and then for drive letter, I chose none right? and the rest I can do correctly in the red Hat linux install right?

Just Joined!
    plz I need help now.

Linux Guru
    You will need two partitions: one swap partition and one root filesystem partition. Create a swap partition that is 256 MB or so, and format it with Linux Swap. Then create a root filesystem partition that fills up the rest of the HD, format it with ext3 and set its mount point to /. Primary or logical doesn't make any real difference. It's just if you're picky with your partitioning and want your HD layout in a very specific manner.

Just Joined!
    so I have to make the swap partition on my own? I thought the red hat installation does that?

Thank you very much for the feedback

Linux Guru
    If you choose automatic partitioning, it does it for you. Otherwise, you have to do it all manually.

Just Joined!
    This what I did and I hope it helps you too.

I used a de frag tool to defrag my Windows partition(usually windows 9x comes with one).I then used FIPS that comes free with the Red hat installation kit (under dosutils).I then partitioned my Primary (that has windows on it) into 2 partitions to create the new partition.FIPS assumes WIN FAT32 for the new file system on the new partition.

When I was installing redhat, I chose to manually partition using disk druid.I deleted this new partition that I had just created and added it to the free space.I then chose to create 3 new partitions ( boot (about 100 MB, use ext3 for the file system)), swap (atleast 32 MB or double your RAM size whatever is greater) and the root(whatever is remaining, use ext3 for the file system)).You can specify all this when you use the disk druid instead of selecting the automatic partitioning. This tool is very effective and will not touch the partition that has windows on it

I could retain windows on my primary and at the same time partition my primary without losing windows and I could install redhat on the new partition effectively.

Hope this helps.