Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I just took a peak that how apt works with RPM and I hope that you install this. If this was availabe, I may never have gone to Debian....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

I just took a peak that how apt works with RPM and I hope that you install this. If this was availabe, I may never have gone to Debian.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer
    Its just to download thoose missing packages or compile PHP from source, then you dont have to download them.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Engineer
    Maybe this topic should be made sticky so that everyone using Red Hat or Connectiva could use this.
    The best things in life are free.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User

apt and synaptic

Yes install apt then use apt get to retrieve synaptic which is the GUI for apt. Blumming marvelous piece of software. I use it on RH9. Works like a dream.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux User
    apt works for RH 9? cool! I will try it! ta ta
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Just Joined!
    Can someone recommend a repository that offers up2date rpms for use in RH9. I'm currently using Jamd (based on RH9) and Synaptic is very nice. The only problem is that the repositories that it points to (Jamd and FreshRPMS(3)) have nothing but old out-dated rpms. I've had to go out and download updated Mozilla 1.7, K3b, etc. Which is not a problem, but when I install an rpm, it doesn't (most of the time) show up in Synaptic ( or apt). I now am in RPM dependency hell. I've tried refreshing, and the whole bit, still no go.

I understand that most repositories are not always going to have the latest and greatest. But Mozilla 1.2 & k3b .8 and dependency packages so old, you end up having to go out and download a ton! It defeats the purpose.

There must be a better way.

bd

Linux Guru
    Those automatic update repositories very seldomly offer new versions. Much more often, they offer bugfixes to the existing versions. The reason they do this is because they don't want to risk breaking interoperability by installing a completely new version.

I was a bit impressed with the Fedore Core update agent, though. It does indeed seem to upgrade to new versions.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the quick reply Dolda. I tried using some of the fedora apt repositories and it caused problems. I tried Fedora the day it was released. I'm using Jamd as my desktop distro and liked having most things already setup for me. Some people were saying that I should wait a while before relying on Fedora.

How impressed were you with Fedora overall? I want to stick with a Red Hat distro if at all possible because it's what I'm used to.

Thanks again for all you do here at LF.

bd

Linux Guru
    I was quite impressed with Fedora, actually. It comes with really recent software, such as GNOME 2.4, it installed really nicely and all that. The one thing that I really object to is that they ship rhythmbox as the default music player. I don't know how well it works normally, but the version they shipped is really buggy, and I would recommend everyone to simply turn it off while installing.
    As I see it, there doesn't seem to be any reason for waiting on Fedora. I installed it on my sister's computer, and she haven't been complaining about it this far, at least.

Just Joined!
    I'll take another stab at it.

What is the best course of action for updating and installing apps within Fedora?

Thanks again Dolda!

bd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast