Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
As an avid classical fan, it's hard to leech these types of music. Even if I may leech popular music, I'll always buy the CD if I think it's worth ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

As an avid classical fan, it's hard to leech these types of music. Even if I may leech popular music, I'll always buy the CD if I think it's worth the money. An example of this would be the Linkin Park CDs, which are both excellent.
    When Napster first came out, that's around when broad band wasn't so popular. Being at a university, I had access to a T3 connection so as you can see, I very much enjoyed it. In Napster, it was very easy to find songs. Then everyone on campus had this software and as you can imagine, the bandwidth was tied up constantly. To fix this, the school temporarily shut down Napster. Then about three months later it came back with full force due to copyright reasons and once again, it became hard to even just check my e-mail at hotmail.com. By my junior year, this problem hadn't been solved and the problem only grew worse as more peer to peer software came out. This isn't relevant to the problem here at all but at this time, the computer science dept's UNIX machine was hacked into. I don't recall them every fixing that problem. Anyhow, by senior year, Napster was shutdown in court and it seemed as the network was less congested. This is when audiogalaxy came into the picture. It was a nice but somewhere down the year, the school found out about it and put a limit on the bandwidth for this sort of problem. By the time I got home, audiogalaxy was no way nearly as popular.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    I haven't found any problems finding classical music. I have many pieces of Dvorak, Wagner and even the Russian Red Army Choir. Of course, most of that was in the days of AudioGalaxy; I haven't really tried my luck for them on Direct Connect, so I don't know how it looks these days. I do know, however, that my favorite type of music, reggae and (maybe I shouldn't admit this on a public forum, but what the heck... =) ) anime original soundtracks, are in overflowing abundance, so I'm living a happy life there.
    Now that you mention it, though, there are a couple of classical pieces that I'd really want, like the Branderburger concerts, so I'll check it out how the supply looks nowadays.

Linux Engineer
    Dolda,

You don't know the half of it when I say classical music (I studied it for 6 years). If I wanted a Dvorak Cello Concerto, I'd have to get different versions from different artists such as Ma, Rostropovich, Rose and etc.
    The Brandenburg Concertos... I'd recommend the one by Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center. Of course lots of Europeans don't really like American performers but the interpretations are different from the states and Euro countries so I can't really blame them.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    OK, I wasn't really aware just what you meant when you said "avid fan"... you really meant it, didn't you? =) Now I can understand that you're having trouble finding the pieces you want on P2P networks, to say the least.
    I do like classical music, and although I would enjoy having your experience with it, I do still prioritize computers. Now that I think of it, it can be a problem with finding classical music on P2P networks that the quality can be poor - sometimes extremely so - and so on. It really is a pity, and there are some pieces that I would like to have good quality versions of, but that I can't find. I might have been lucky to find some Dvorak pieces in such good quality that I did. I don't have a nearby CD store that sells classical music (at all), though, and I do still prefer computer science to the extent that I don't really do any deep research to get my hands on the pieces I want. In a way, it's a pity; music can really be bliss, and in that way it would be AGoodThing(TM) to know more about it. But then again, computers are really my first priority.
    Would it be too much to ask you to share some of those OGG files with me? (Hey, if you want, I can share with you my Anime OST collection... =) )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2