Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Does anyone know how i can install mp3 support for xmms in red hat linux 9? I downloaded the rpm pachage from www.xmms.org but when i ty to install it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xmms & Mp3

Does anyone know how i can install mp3 support for xmms in red hat linux 9? I downloaded the rpm pachage from www.xmms.org but when i ty to install it it says that there is a conflict. When i try to play an mp3 the open file menu pops up.
    Thanks in advance.

Linux Engineer
    i would go back to xmms.org and download all 4 of those packages to make sure u haev current versions of everything and not just the codec as i guess u have.

when installing them try
    Code:
    rpm -Uivh <<file1>> <<file2>> <<etc>>
    the U means upgrade (in my experiences conflicts are usually caused by older versions)

Linux Guru
    It should be rpm -Uhv, not -Uihv. The U and i are two seperate commands (U for upgrade, i for install). The upgrade command installs the package if it isn't already, though, so it's really the only one you need.
    What conflict was there?

Just Joined!
    I don't remember exactly but i finally did it to work. Thanks

Linux Engineer
    Am I the only one who thinks vorbis is superior to mp3?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    I haven't really tried it, since almost all illegal music distributions are in MP3 format. How have you come across it, really, and how is it better? I hear that it's an open standard, and I guess that makes it preferrable over MP3, but then again, MP3 is the de facto standard.

Linux Engineer
    Oh man....
    Let's just say I can encode a song to a variable rate between 64kbps to 128kbps. A five minute song usually comes out to less than 3MB. If that doens't entice you, the sound quality will. A better comparison would be to try encoding something at a fixed rate of 64kpbs in ogg versus mp3. You'll notice the quality difference and the file size. The developers also state that it uses less CPU time but today's chips are fast enough that this really isn't the incentive to make the jump.
    I only noticed vorbis thanks to Gnome (back in the days) which had screen shots of it's newest version. One of those pics was a Nautilus window with .ogg files. I new it was music files and I tried it out. I was impressed.

Linux Guru
    Well, I do use it to encode new files, but that has only happened once. The rest of my music files I have simply gotten over Audiogalaxy (it's such a pity that they were defeated) and Direct Connect, and they are all in MP3 format.
    I guess that I would prefer OGG, but only if I can get it, which has been a little hard this far.

Linux Engineer
    Right, I use it to rip songs off CDs (the ones I own of course). Mp3 and ogg are still lossy compression so I won't encode something from mp3 to ogg unless the mp3 file is encoded at 320 or 256 kbps.
    As for audiogalaxy, yes, those were the days. Then again, Napster was the sh*t.

Linux Guru
    I guessed so, but I don't have any music CDs, and I never had. When it comes to music, I'm a leecher all and all. I don't know if that makes me a bad man, but I don't really care. =) Maybe I can play my little part in decommericalizing music just a bit.

I must still say that Audiogalaxy was even better than Napster, though. I experienced much better transfer rates, more hits and better response with AG than with Napster. Maybe that was just me, though. Napster still holds the major credit for opening people's eyes to semi-p2p networks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast