Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I tried to install mplayer after downloading it from the internet and i got: [dimitris@localhost Linux]$ rpm -ivh mplayer-0.90-18.i686.rpm warning: mplayer-0.90-18.i686.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 66534c2b error: Failed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mplayer Dependencies

I tried to install mplayer after downloading it from the internet and i got:

[dimitris@localhost Linux]$ rpm -ivh mplayer-0.90-18.i686.rpm
    warning: mplayer-0.90-18.i686.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 66534c2b
    error: Failed dependencies:
    aalib is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    alsa-lib is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    atrpms is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    faad2 is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    lame is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    libaa.so.1 is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    libasound.so.2 is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    libasound.so.2(ALSA_0.9) is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    libdv is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    libdv.so.2 is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    libdvdread is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    libdvdread.so.3 is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    libfaad.so.0 is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    liblirc_client.so.0 is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    liblzo.so.1 is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    libmp3lame.so.0 is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    libpostproc = 0.90-18 is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    libpostproc.so.0 is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    libxvidcore.so is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    lirc is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    live is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    lzo is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    mplayer-fonts is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    mplayer-skin-Blue is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    mplayer-skin-default is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    w32codec >= 4:0.90 is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    xvidcore is needed by mplayer-0.90-18

Does anyone know what this means and where i can get all these things and how to install them in order to install mplayer?
    I am using Red Hat 9 and i have a video card that uses Nvidia Geforce 2 MX chip.
    Thanks in advance.

Linux Enthusiast
    easy, see my red hat 9 page of my guide - all of the deps are listed there and I even provide links on where to get them.
    if you want burning software, k3b and all of its deps are there too as well as a lot of other instructions on rh9 software

guide link is below.

Linux Engineer
    Damn, I think it's easier to install it from source.
    The best things in life are free.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    atrpms is needed by mplayer-0.90-18 ]
    mplayer-skin-Blue is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    mplayer-skin-default is needed by mplayer-0.90-18
    I managed to install everything but these three.
    Any clues?

Linux User
    The skins are available on the MPlayer site here http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/Skin/. There is no skin called Default, but I used the Blue skin as the default for my MPlayer. Just make a directory called default in the Skins directory wherever your MPlayer folder is and extract the Blue files there. Mines in my home directory so I would extract it to /home/tyler/.mplayer/Skin/default. I'm not sure what atrpms is, someone else will have to field that one. Hope that helps!

Linux Guru
    Please, do compile it from source instead. Not only is it easier than solving dependencies, you also get _much_ better optimization as well.

Linux Engineer
    Dolda,

This is a debate that's going on in my head eversince I've compiled a program from source. When do you think is a good time to use source as opposed to installing from a package such as RPM or DEB?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    I almost always compile from source. It's just that when I'm doing something, and it is hindered because I don't have some specific program, I just want to install it really fast and get on with my original quest. That's when I use RPMs.
    I've written a small shell script that can download a package by RH release version and name from the Swedish university network (sunet) in just a matter of seconds, so when I want something really fast in order to just continue with whatever I was doing, I just call that script and install the RPM; all is done in far less than a minute. That, plus the feature of having a file database that can show you what package a file belongs to, is the only strength of RPMs in my mind.
    So even if I just want to try a program out, and I'm just focused on that program, I compile it from source. If I'm doing a serious installation of a program that I want to use for whatever reason, I wouldn't even consider an RPM, except for extraordinary reasons.

Just Joined!
    Compiling from source has some nice advantages. Being able to specify your CPU architecture means more optimised code, rather than downloading binaries for i686 or worse, i386. Since I'm on an Athlon at home, I use -march=athlon, but at work I use -march=pentium3. Also, you can more aggressively optimise ( -O2, -O3 or -Os ).

On the downside, Mozilla takes a long time to compile on any CPU.

Linux Enthusiast
    arkas - you are using different mplayer files than I recommended on my guide, so unfortunately I can't say that will work.

and my take on sources: compiling from source can be good in some ways - yes you can optimize more, but I find it is wayyy more of a hassle than it is worth. A lot of times things don't work when I do it (majopr packages including mplayer) I find it is better to use rpms for example if you use red hat - that way the packages are actually designed for that distro. It seems a bit too much to expect for all source packages to work with every distro. I know that is the theory, but it doesn't appear to work. I know people will disagree with me on this, but that's ok, my software actually works and I am happy enough with my rpms.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast