Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Yes, DMA 133, 100, 66 etc. I think in the BIOS they'll probably be referred to as DMA Mode 6, 5, an 4; but I'm probably off on that. It's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Yes, DMA 133, 100, 66 etc. I think in the BIOS they'll probably be referred to as DMA Mode 6, 5, an 4; but I'm probably off on that. It's Direct Memory Access, and you could even try disabling it completely and running PIO Mode 4. You don't want to run without it permanently, the data transfer bursts it allows are a big deal.

Prime95 is just a distributed computing client, a search for Mersenne prime numbers which has an offline torture test. It hits your RAM and CPU hard and doesn't really touch anything else. You can get it here.

That's why I suggested the Seagate diagnostics, by the way, to try to rule out the hard drive without a third hard drive or wiping Windows. I've never had to run Seagate's so I can't verify, but it should go beyond testing for bad sectors and test the logic as well. Since your install freezes in different points it doesn't sound like a bad sector issue anyway, but somewhere between the IDE controller and the logic if it's a disk issue at all. Which reminds me, you should try another IDE cable too.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Just Joined!
    Right, we're getting somewhere at last...

Prime95 was a great move... I put the Torture Test to "a little bit of everything" and it locks up within a minute or so.

So.. I then downloaded MotherBoard Monitor to check temperature.

MBM was running when I set the torture mode up. The temp looked alright but I'm not sure of the voltage readings.. they are as follows (the first number is the current reading ie. at the time of lock. The second number was the average reading)

Code:
    CPU       42C - 44C
    Core 0       1.61V - 1.62V
    Core 1       3.29V - 3.28V
    +3.3          2.52V - 2.41V
    +5.0          3.01V - 3.37V
    +12.0        9.39V - 7.48V
    -12.0         -4.23V - -7.99V
    -5.0           -3.15V - -3.47V
    Fan           4753 RPM - 4646 RPM
    Those voltages look way out to me, especially -12.0Volts and -5 volts...

The power supply has recently been changed so I wouldn't have thought it could be that? Could it be something dragging them down? Faulty RAM or something perhaps?

The problem is obviously rooted in how much work the computer is being asked to do at the time. When I run XP normally I don't get any problems but when I start the Prime95 test it locks up....

I'll have a search for anyway of testing my RAM..

Linux User
    Well you say you ran memtest86, right? That should pretty much rule the RAM out.

Those voltages are most definitely outside tolerance, I'd be looking at the power supply, and if that't not it, then it's most likely the motherboard. Do you have another power supply you can test with? You can usually take it to a tech and they'll test it for free if you buy the power supply from them, so make sure they have a power supply you want first. Enermax, Antec, and Fortron/Sparkle are my favorites, but usually if a supply feels heavy it's good.

I hope you bought that motherboard from a good dealer if it is the problem. ECS is the biggest motherboard manufacturer in the world (unless Asus overtook them), and they deal mostly in OEM's, so I wouldn't expect a great turnaround from their RMA department.

Sorry, I forgot to think of voltages
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Just Joined!
    Ethyriel

I ran MemTest overnight and it ran fine. However, if I change the setting "Memory Sizing" from BIOS - STD to BIOS - ALL, then I get a load of errors. I'm not sure if the BIOS ALL setting is trying to test outside the range of my computer??

If it's not that then I'll swap the two 512Kb RAM cards (remove each one in turn) and see if the RAM is the culprit.

If not, then I'll get back to the shop and ask them to check my PSU. Although its a 400W (I think its Maxdrive or Maxster or something) so it should be meaty enough...

Thanks for your help so far.... I'll report back (probably tomorrow now) when I get any info...

Cheers

Linux User
    Well, power supplies are notorious for being falsely rated. I'm not familiar with that unit, but a lot of 400w or 500w supplies can't handle as much load as a quality 250w.

You should probably stick with STD, this is just the timings that the module was tested at. If you do decide to set it to 'ALL', then I'm guessing that's just ECS's way of saying manual, and you'll need to go through and find the stable timings on an individual basis.

Good luck!
    Michael Salivar

--Goethe

Just Joined!
    Right, sorry for the late reply, but my computer has just come out of the shop. My mate Phil (owner of said shop) has had a look at it and here's what happened.

He tested the PSU and said it was fine. He then put a brand new hard drive in it and replace my ATI Radeon 9200 with a crappier graphics card. He installed Mandrake 8 without problems.

I then took the computer back and kept hold of his old graphics card. I tried to install Mandrake 10.1 and it locked up as usual. I then changed my hard drive to another HD I had lying about. It locked up again. Bearing in mind the only thing that is original now is the Motherboard and PSU. I then did a FULL low level format of my spare HD, unplugged every USB device etc. and tried again. Still just locks up.

I phoned him and his conclusion was that I am cursed.

I'm going to try and download an earlier version of Mandrake (if it is available anywhere) and try that.

I hate to leave it like this without getting to the bottom of the problem though.

Just as a side line, Prime95 locks XP after about 30 seconds on the "little bit of everything" torture test.

Phew.. computers eh? Who'd have 'em?

Linux User
    Like I said, motherboard or PSU

Did he test the PSU with a multimeter? If that's the case, it could still be that it only has problems under a fairly large load. If he swapped it and experienced locks with a known good PSU, then it's probably the motherboard.

Or another possibility is the power out of the outlet, did he experience any locks in the shop at all?
    Michael Salivar

--Goethe

Banned
    yeh it must be something with the motherbored or psu

Just Joined!
    He said he'd tested the PSU. I doubt whether it was under load but I will check on Tuesday when I see him.

I've been through countless forums about my motherboard and checked that the caps aren't bulging etc etc...

I'm planning on reformatting the entire drive tomorrow, reinstalling windows xp and trying everything again. I know that my xp installation should be nothing to do with it but it's due a clean install.

I'll see what happens then.

Certainly been a learning curve with this problem and I really appreciate the likes of you lads who've been helping me out. People should take off their hats to you lot who are willing to share your experience and knowledge with people looking for answers. Thanks.

I'll let you know how the reinstall etc goes and if I find anything more out about this problem on Tuesday.

If I ever do get to the bottom of it I'll stick it in these forums for other poor souls searching for the same thing...

Cheers

JT

Just Joined!
    Right!! Finally!! Its sorted...

I replaced my old ECS L7S7A2 motherboard with a new MSI KT6 Delta motherboard.

I've just managed to install Mandrake 10.1 without any problems at all.

Such a relief to have a computer thats behaving itself again.

I've just got to get my head around how Mandrake works now but thats for another topic...

Once again, a massive thanks to all those that have helped me out...

Signing off, one happy soldier...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast