Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have created a logical portions with XP disk manager. It would only part ion D: as logical and not primary. Should I let Linux reparation empty space with some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

logical partions

I have created a logical portions with XP disk manager.

It would only part ion D: as logical and not primary.

Should I let Linux reparation empty space with some utility or just install it on XP logical part ion and reformat?

Will it boot to this second partion with XP boot.ini and correct boot file if Unix is on a logical partion or dose it have to be a primary.

Beleave it or not I have not used any Windows for years, (old BSD hack), but I must share my lap with my girl. She is an unchangable Microsoft brainwashed youngster that is required to uses junk apps by her educators.
    In college the dumped ther SAS and wanted them to use excel for forcasting--like driving a moped instead of a Porche.

from my understanding of Windows and partitions Windows must be on a Primery partition, and ca'nt be on a logical one, its weird like that, so you would need it on a primery partition.
    I believe Linux can be on any logical partitions, since I'm not that windows savy with boot.ini etc I'm not sure how this would work.

I'm not sure if the boot.ini would be able to boot linux directly, so you might have to use lilo or grub on the second partition so you can boot linux.

I believe this is calle a chainloaded bootloader, the windows bootloader opens the linux bootloader which in turn opens linux.

I'm not 100% sure about the bootloader etc, but I know windows needs a primery partition, and linux does not.

I hope this helps a bit;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    XP is primary

I now boot.ini can boot any image if you trasfer first part of image to a file in XP. and put an entry in boot.ini to use this file--which I think you refer to in more technical way.

What I didn'nt know is if the second partion, linux is on, needs to be primary also or this is even possible when the two OSs coexist and is formatting a NTFS logical partion to xft3 without repartioning with linux possible. Linux by itself must boot from primary.

Thanks