Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi: I have recently installed Fedora Core 3 on my new 160GB HD. However, at installation time I selected the automatic partition. As a result now, my HD is just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Have Fedora 3 Only.. Need to add Windows XP on same HD

Hi: I have recently installed Fedora Core 3 on my new 160GB HD. However, at installation time I selected the automatic partition. As a result now, my HD is just one big block. I am wondering if there is a way to resize my current partition, so that I can create a new one where I can install windows XP. I did try to boot my computer from windows XP installation CD but it gives me a blank screen. I also tried to repartition using the utility included in Fedora's installation CD, but that didn't work either. Let's say that I do manage to find some software which allows me to resize my partition and create a new one. Will I be able to install windows XP in the newly created partition? Any suggestions or links to related information are appreciated.

Just Joined!
    use either "fdisk" or "cfdisk" and delete all partitions on the drive.

Then install windows on the drive .(in the amount of gigs that you desire) (for some reason, it just works better and you get less errors if you have windows on the drive first)

After that with the Fedora cd, use custom partitioning, install Fedora, and have fun!!

If you're having trouble, there is a good program here:
    http://www.freefunfiles.com/software...-director.html
    (for windows)

Hope this helps!!

-Mike

Linux Enthusiast
    You're better off re-installing everything, as the above post suggests.
    Especially because it's a pain to re-install the bootloader for linux because Windows will over-write it no matter what.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050