Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
first a little info. i am dual booting my computer with Red Hat 9 and XP and the Red Hat that im using is one that i download all the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

really confused and really nedd help

first a little info. i am dual booting my computer with Red Hat 9 and XP and the Red Hat that im using is one that i download all the 3 iso from Red Hat servers and i am very new to Red Hat Linux.

i just installed Red Hat 9 on my computer and it when fine. now when i enter red hat for some reason a box always pops up asking if i want to install any additional cds. so i poped in the first cd and it shows me all the packages that i can install. i selected all of them but then it gives me an error saying that gtkhtml = 1.1.8-5, kdelibs = 6:3.1-10, krb5 - libs = 1.2.7-10, openssl = o.9.7a-2 need to be installed first before these packages can be installed. so i skiped that part looked in the cd and saw those files. when i doubled clicked them to install it says that they already are.

do i need to download a new updated version of these files so i can install these packages and if so how do i install them right. i have looked up the files up on the interent but that just made me more confused.

any help would be very appreciated.

Linux Engineer
    When you boot into Linux, tell me what its exactly like. For example, is X (GUI) running? Can you at least get into a desktop like Gnome or KDE?
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    ok this is what exactly happens. i start red hat then it goes through the whole check part. then when thats done a welcome screen pops up saying a few more steps.

then when i press forward a user account pops up so i enter a name and password. then a date time pops up so i configure that. then the sound card pops up and i check the sound and it works then after i press the forward the additional CD part pops up.

this is were it ask to install documentation CD, Installation CD or Additional CD. so i put the first CD in and press installation CD a pop up menu comes up and it ask to add and remove programs. then when i press forward it checks the system pack stat. then a window pops up showing what packages u can install some examples are KDE desktop enviroument, Authoring publishing etc.

then when i select them all and press forward it prepars system update and then checks system update and then the error pops up saying that those files are unlocatable packages and it shows what is requred by them.

i hope that is more clear and helps

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    i almost forgot after the error i press ok and then i insert the second CD and press install again and then it takes me stright to the desktop, it ask me to login and type my password and then im staring at my red hat desktop and everything is fine.

Linux Guru
    It might have gotten the additional packages from the second CD, actually.
    It sounds to me as if you're getting this welcome screen every time you reboot, though. Is that so?

Just Joined!
    yes every time i rebot i always get this welcome screen

Linux Guru
    Now that's kind of strange. Do you shut down properly (not that it should matter with ext3, but anyway).
    Have you tried not to install any additional packages? Is there any specific reason that you want to install extra packages after the installation is complete?

Just Joined!
    yea im shuting down properly and everything. but like i said, i really new to linux so when i saw the kde packegs and all the other ones i figured that i should install them. i guess what i really need to know is do i need these packages casue some of them sound important.

Linux Guru
    If there is something that you find out that you would need, you can always add them on afterwards.

Just Joined!
    well thats the thing, red hat doesn't recognize my modem becacuse its a win modem so i can't download anything. can i still download red hat stuff on my windows side and burn it to a cd and then tranfser it to my red hat?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast