I'd like to know how to make a boot floppy that will let me boot from a hard drive after I've reconfigured it from the master drive to a slave drive.

Background: I have Red Hat 9.0 on the original drive in my PC. I want to install a new hard drive, which will be the master drive, with the old drive as a slave. I'll install Win2000 (don't ask ...) and Fedora Core 3 on the new drive. The goal is to use grub to give me the option to boot Fedora from the main drive, Red Hat from the second drive, or Windows from the main drive.

What I've done: I created a boot floppy for my Red Hat installation, while the drive was still the master drive (hda). I installed the new drive, disconnected the old drive, and installed Win2K on the new one. I then disconnected the new drive, reconnected the old drive (still set to be master), and booted from the floppy.

Where I need help: As I understand it (which isn't very well...), I need to modify my grub.conf and fstab files to change any references to "hda" to refer to "hdb". Then, I should do something to update the boot floppy so that when I reconnect the new drive and set the old drive to be a slave drive (hdb), the boot floppy will still work.

[Note: I know the boot floppy isn't strictly necessary, as I should eventually be able to boot RH on the second drive using grub on the first drive, but I want to have a boot floppy that works for when I run into trouble, which I seem to do a lot. ]

Q1: The only reference to "hda" in my grub.conf file is commented out:
#boot=/dev/hda
There are multiple references to "(hd0,0)", however. Should I change these to "(hd1,0)"? (I've copied the top of my grub.conf and my fstab files for reference at the bottom of this post.)

Q2: Once I've made all necessary changes to grub.conf and fstab, how to I update the boot floppy so that it will locate the file systems on the hdb drive? If I don't change it in some way, won't it still look for /etc on hda after I've connected the new drive as master and made the old drive a slave?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really stuck. I appreciate any help you can give.
- Bruce

my grub.conf (edited):
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
initrd /initrd-2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma.img

my fstab:
LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0