Find the answer to your Linux question:
i just installed Red Hat 9 on my computer and im dual booting with XP on one hard drive and Red Hat on the other. the problem that im having ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

modem problems

i just installed Red Hat 9 on my computer and im dual booting with XP on one hard drive and Red Hat on the other.

the problem that im having is having Red Hat recognize my modem. now i've done my research and i've found that my modem is a win modem and i know thats bad news because most win modems wont work for linux. but i have heard there are sometimes drivers out there that can make your win modem work. these are the specs of my modem after i scanned it: ================================================== ===================
    = SYSTEM INFORMATION =
    ================================================== ===================
    Date : 6/25/2003
    ListMdm Ver : 1.6
    Windows OS : Microsoft Windows XP
    Build Number : 2600

= RESULT OF MODEM QUERY =
    NUMBER OF MODEMS FOUND = 1

MODEM #1:
    PCI CONFIGURATION INFORMATION READ:
    VENDOR ID : 14F1
    DEVICE ID : 1036
    SUBVENDOR ID : 13E0
    SUBDEVICE ID : 0209
    REVISION ID : 08

DEDUCED INFORMATION:
    VENDOR NAME : CONEXANT
    DEVICE NAME : HCF P85 DATA/FAX/REMOTETAM/SPEAKERPHONE
    SUBVENDOR NAME : GVC -- HTTP://WWW.GVC.CA
    MODEM TYPE : HCF
    WINXP INBUILD SUPPORT : YES
    __________________________________________________ ___________

i have found one site that did offer a driver "http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/" i download the driver and followed the info on how to install it but i got so confused cause im so new to linux.
    i would really like to get my modem to work so i wouldn't have to keep on going back and forth to OS so i can read stuff online.

if any one has some advice on how to make Red Hat recognize my modem or how to install the driver or any other sites, it would be very appreciated. sorry for the long post, thanks for your time.

Just Joined!
    I am sharing the same woes too.None of the architecture specific drivers on the linuxant site were specific to mine.I have a HCF chipset win modem and an i686 architecture.So I downloaded the generic driver (beta version) but have not been able to build it yet using the rpm --rebuild option.

Looks like there is no easy way to get the win modems working .These winmodems are a ***king pain.

Linux Guru
    Generically, I would recommend against the use of RPMs for drivers. Download the tarball instead.
    LiquidFlame, could you post what it was that confused you? I don't have that driver, so I can't check it out precisely.

Alternatively, real modems aren't really very expensive these days, so you might want to look into buying one. It will have much less CPU overhead anyway.

Just Joined!
    well the thing that im really confused about is how to install the driver. i go through the guide thats on there site but when i enter the commands it just says that the file can't be found. i have both the rpm and the tar file on my floppy, cd and in my home dictory. i open up a terminal window and type the commnads but it just doesn't seem to want to intall. im very new to linux so most of the commands they tell me to type i have no idea what they mean or do.

Linux Guru
    Can you do it again, and then copy the text from your terminal window and paste it here?

Just Joined!
    well since you said to use tar instead this is what i did. i followed the guide on the site and the first thing it said was to extract the package with "tar -xzf hcfpcimodem-{version}.tar.gz" so in my terminal this is what i did and this is the result:

[liquidflame@localhost liquidflame]$ tar -xzf hcfpcimodem-{0.99lnxtbeta03042700}
    .tar.gz
    tar (child): hcfpcimodem-{0.99lnxtbeta03042700}.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such fil
    e or directory
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    [liquidflame@localhost liquidflame]$

Linux Guru
    hcfpcimodem-{version}.tar.gz means to insert the version you downloaded, without the {}, to form the filename that you downloaded, like this:
    Code:
    tar -xzf hcfpcimodem-0.99lnxtbeta03042700.tar.gz
    Since you didn't know that, I assume that you don't know about tab completion, a pretty nifty feature of the bash shell that comes with Linux. If you start typing a filename and then press tab, it will complete the filename for you. It's not just a fast way to type long file names, it's also a very good way to avoid spelling errors. If you have two filenames such as "abcd1234" and "abcd4321", and you type "ab" and then press tab, only "cd" will be completed, and the shell will "beep", indicating that there are more than one possible completion. You can then type either 1 or 4 and press tab again to complete the filename you want, or you can press tab again to get a list of the possible completions.
    Many programs have adapted this functionality, so you might want to check for it here and there.