Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I am trying to generate a binary for my platform using the rpm --rebuild command and i get a unknown option message. Looks like since RH linux 8.0, the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

rpm --rebuild option

Hello,
    I am trying to generate a binary for my platform using the rpm --rebuild command and i get a unknown option message. Looks like since RH linux 8.0, the --rebuild command has been obsoleted and some forums advise using the rpmbuild(after installing it) option.I am trying to find the source for rpmbuild package and install it so that I can use it but havent been able to find the source.

Gurus, can you please point me to the right place to find it.Are there any other options that I can use to rebuild the source rpm ??.I have tried rpmfind.net but to no sucess

My machine architecture is i686.

Linux Engineer
    What are you after??...do modify your current rpm-database or to build your own rpm-packages??

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    I'm guessing that what you're after is simply rpmbuild --rebuild <rpmname>.

Just Joined!
    Yes all I want to do is build the rpm packages. But the command rpm --rebuild says unknown option.
    I tried using the rpmbuild option and even that gives me an unknown option message.Any ideas??.

Kernel 2.0.20-6 RH 9.0

Linux Guru
    Are you sure that you typed it correctly? rpmbuild --rebuild is supposed to work.

Just Joined!
    Yep,

I tried running rpmbuild again and it says "bash : Unknown command".

My current shell is bash.
    I looked under /etc/bin and I did not find rpmbuild there. Even man rpmbuild says no entry for rpmbuild.How can I find out if rpmbuild is actually installed?.

Can anyone tell me where can I get the rpmbuild package from??.I tried rpmfind.net but did not find anything much there.

By the way I am running Redhat 9.0 , kernel 2.0.20-6

Thanks

Linux Guru
    I had always thought that rpmbuild would be in the rpm package, but apparently that was not the case. Not that I check, I find that it is in the rpm-build package. That might also explain why you didn't find it, since you were searching without the hyphen.

Just Joined!
    So how do I run the rpmbuild package then?.Where should I look for??

Is it a standard package that comes with the standard installation or do I need to download this package source separately.If yes, where can I find it??
    I tried the redhat netowrk and it lists me the rpm-build package for 1386 architecture and for RH 8.0.I have a i686 and am running RH 9.0

Appreciate your help.

Linux Guru
    Try this one:

ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distrib...-0.69.i386.rpm

It doesn't hurt that it is i386; i686 is backwards compatible with i386.

Linux Engineer
    try rpmbuild -ba file.spec

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast