Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
The are two different Grub "prompts" and they look like this: Code: GRUB _ and grub> The second one is a real prompt that you can boot anything from if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

The are two different Grub "prompts" and they look like this:
    Code:
    GRUB _

and

grub>
    The second one is a real prompt that you can boot anything from if you have certain information. The first says that Grub is broken. Sounds like that's what you guys have. It means that Grub has not been setup properly. If you can't get into your Linux system at all, the best way to fix it is to create a Grub boot disk and then run the Grub setup. The procedure is explained clearly in the Grub info file which, if you had a working Linux, would be found with the command 'info grub'. It recommends installing Grub "natively" which means using a Grub floppy to boot (nerderello's tutorial has info on how to get a Grub floppy: it's only Grub, no kernel). With that, you can get the good grub prompt (grub>). Then, if you know where your boot files are (kernel, initrd and menu.lst or grub.conf) you can set the grub root and run grub setup.

If you have a Linux live CD you have everything you need: just read the grub info file.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    i got my stuff working! thanks for all the help.

-duffman

Just Joined!
    I'm having some problems that I'm hoping you guys may be able to help me resolve.

I'm a linux newbie, and I've been trying to install Fedora Core 3 on my laptop. I'm trying to set up the machine as a dual boot, with the other OS being XP Home. I've had various problems and currently I'm in the following situation:

I have formatted the drive into partitions of various sizes for:

/
    /boot
    swap
    data (to be shared by Linux / XP)
    c: (for Windows install)

I set the size of the partitions using the XP installer, and installed XP to the partition I had selected to hold XP. I then installed Fedora, changing the format of the remaining partitions using the Anaconda installer.

However, now when I boot the machine boots straight to XP and doesn't display GRUB - I'm not sure where I've gone wrong but I'm sure it's something obvious. Can anyone help?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Morals
    However, now when I boot the machine boots straight to XP and doesn't display GRUB - I'm not sure where I've gone wrong but I'm sure it's something obvious.
    If you never see anything about Grub, it means that Grub is not installed on the MBR. You have two good options here: you can install Grub on the MBR or you can (so I understand) use the WinXP bootloader. I only know the former, and here's the quik-guide:

Read nerderello's Grub Tutorial. Read through it all, and watch for "Getting a Grub boot diskette". To get where you want to go by this route, you will:
    1. Get a Grub boot diskette
    2. Install Grub to your MBR
    3. Boot into Linux like I explained in detail here.
    4. Edit /etc/grub/grub.conf to boot to Fedora and add a section to boot to Windows.

For booting from the Windows bootloader, try this thread.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!

Removing and reinstalling SuSE 9.1 in Win98/Linux dual boot

I had/have a Win98/SuSE 9.1 dual-boot setup on two drives. Win98 on a 13G and SuSE on a 6.4 G.

I've replaced the 13G with an 80G and ghosted win98 to it . AOK at this point but I want to migrate SuSE to the new drive and remove the 6.4G from my system. So far the 6.4G must be installed as the 2nd HD or I end up with...

GRUB_

and no boot at all.

I have a How-To here that suggests I use PartitionMagic to delete the partitions on the 6.4 then my win98 boot disk to run fdisk /mbr to restore my mbr so that windows will boot alone. Does this sound right?

Once I have this working then I plan to Ghost my windows setup to the 13G before reinstalling SuSE and also Unbuntu on the 80G.

TIA

Linux Guru
    So basically, you just need to get your Windows working as Bill Gates intended so you can smoothly migrate it to the 13Gb. And in the process you can lose Suse for now unitl you have a clean space for them where Windows is now.

If that's right, then yes, use fdisk to restore your Windows MBR and wipe the Linux partitions from the drive where Windows will go. And then when you install Suse, you should be able to configure Grub to boot Suse or Windows.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Morals
    However, now when I boot the machine boots straight to XP and doesn't display GRUB - I'm not sure where I've gone wrong but I'm sure it's something obvious.
    If you never see anything about Grub, it means that Grub is not installed on the MBR. You have two good options here: you can install Grub on the MBR or you can (so I understand) use the WinXP bootloader. I only know the former, and here's the quik-guide:

Read nerderello's Grub Tutorial. Read through it all, and watch for "Getting a Grub boot diskette". To get where you want to go by this route, you will:
    1. Get a Grub boot diskette
    2. Install Grub to your MBR
    3. Boot into Linux like I explained in detail here.
    4. Edit /etc/grub/grub.conf to boot to Fedora and add a section to boot to Windows.

For booting from the Windows bootloader, try this thread.
    Thanks for your advice - I forgot to mention my laptop doesn't have a FDD so creating a boot diskette is not a possiblity. I think I've solved the issue now by starting from scratch, creating partitions for Windows, and then creating the remaining partitions using Disk Druid. Now dual booting but haven't tested fully yet.

Thanks again.

Just Joined!
    I found this topic that fits the description of the problem that i'm having with my Fedora installation now.

Back to the GRUB issue, I'm getting a black screen with the "grub>" instead of the normal graphical boot up. From there i'm not sure what to do next.

What happened was, I installed Fedora Core 3 successfully once, with the standard Personal Desktop packages. I then proceeded on to update the OS with yum. And edit certain files such as grub.conf to attempt to install the nvidia graphics drivers as in the fedoranews.org tutorial. But thereafter I realised that the packages from the Personal Desktop standard pack were not adequate, so I decided to add more, but I encountered some dependency problems in the package installer. (probably due to the updates, I don't know.)

So then I proceeded on to re-installing (on the same partition, I reformatted it. but reused the old "/home" partition without reformatting) the Fedora Core 3 OS with "Everything" checked, under the Custom packages to make sure I got everything. After the Reboot, I got the "grub>" screen instead of the normal boot-up that I got before. I tried re-installing again with the exact configs, but I got the same thing.

Oh by the way, I didn't install with a "/boot" partition, just a "/" partition, "/home" partition and a swap partition. Didn't for the first time and it was successful and I don't really plan to.

Hope to get some input from here, sorry for the long post, I just wanted to be detailed.

chris.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2