Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I think thats ok, but I'd back up important data you have on the drive you are re-partitioning just in case (you should do this every time you think of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I think thats ok, but I'd back up important data you have on the drive you are re-partitioning just in case (you should do this every time you think of re-partitioning);

good luck;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Hey jazzmachine,

I usually do my partitions one at a time, but I guess it would work OK if you do a couple at once. When you click "apply changes", you will be prompted to reboot. Partition Magic then kicks into gear as a blue screen before XP fully boots. That is to say, the actual partitioning is done after you reboot.

Hope this has helped.

Partition Magic is such a great utility I actually reinstalled XP after two years of not having a Windows partition, just so I could use it.

After you get this all done, always use PM to do all future partitioning and don't revert to using QTparted which is on many Linux distros these days. There is a mismatch between them on how they "see" where the partitions begin and end that will cause nothing but headaches.

More on that if you're interested...

http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/fc2T42.shtml
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ok, so the version of Partition Magic I have installed is just the demo version, and therefor cannot actually do any work on my hard drive. I do not own a credit card, so I cannot purchase a copy online either. But thanks for everything so far, all the info has been most valuable. Hopefully this will all be resolved soon.

If I'm not mistaken, XP has a partitioning utility built in, I'll go look...

Well, you can't resize with it after an install but this looks interesting...

http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_05.htm

See, all that's really important is the sizing and placement of the blank space after Windows. Most any Windows partitioning utility will "count" the same way PM8 does. There may be a freebee utility out there you could download.

Ubuntu *should* find that blank space, make it into your / and swap partitions and format / with either ext3 or reiserFS. I've never installed Ubutu to HD so I don't know. I HAVE installed BeatrIX to HD, which is built from Ubuntu, so chances are the install utitlity would be similar.

However you decide to do it, be sure to back up all your valuable Windows files first.

EDIT: Also, if resizing your present XP partition, do a thorough defrag of Windows before embarking! There are likely files at the end of your Windows partition that could get amputated in the resizing procrss. Better to get those file away from the end of your Windows partition.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2