Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey all. I am having some problems figuring out this whole partitioning game. I have a 40 gig hd on my laptop. And also 5 gig back up drive. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

another newbie/partition question...

Hey all. I am having some problems figuring out this whole partitioning game. I have a 40 gig hd on my laptop. And also 5 gig back up drive. I was wondering if there is a way I can have the back up drive, become my partitioned drive for Ubuntu? I have looked everywhere for a copy of Partition Magic, but am unable to find a full version anywhere. Running XP, newer laptop, just a year old. If that helps at all. Thanks in advance for any information. And hopefully if you have questions, I will be able to answer them.

When you say, "back up drive," is that like a USB external drive? If so, I'd stay clear of that idea. I'd install Ubuntu after Windows on the same drive as you have plenty of space. You can easily resize Windows and make a space at the end of your drive with the elusive copy of Partition Magic 8 you are soon to procure...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    No, it is not an external drive. It just says DISE_BACKUP of 5 gigs, that I was hoping to use. And still no luck grabbing a copy of partition magic. But thanks for the quick response.

Try having a look for Partition Magic here or here.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    First, thank you Dylunio for the link. Got a copy of it, and it seems as though it works great. Just one question about the program. Should I create a new partition, or click on the Instal another Operating System? Not sure which one would be easiest or the right choice. I know I have a lot to learn still, and hopefully it will all come together soon. Thanks again for all the advice and help from people. These forums are definitely a great tool.

Just create 2 new partitions one being SWAP, which should be around double your RAM, and create another partition with the rest of the space you have available...
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Alright, created two new partitions, one is labeled SWAP, and I called the other Linux. I'm about to install, i'll let you know how it goes, or if I need anymore assitance, which I probably will.

Just Joined!
    ok sorry for all the questions, I know how frustrating this can be. In partition magic, when I click apply, it says that 9 operations are pending, and do I want to continue? Not sure if i'm supposed to click yes or no?

Sorry jazzmachine but I have no idea, do you know what these operations are?

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Ok, so it gives you a "details" option, so I clicked on it and here is what it has to say regarding the 9 operations:

1. Resizing partition C: (FAT32 Primary volume 23399.3 on Disk:1) New size 22865.9MB

2. Resizing partition *: (Extended, Extended volume5216.4MB on Disk:1) New size 5749.8MB

3. Moving Partition DISE_BACKUP (FAT32 Logical volume 5216.4MB on Disk:1) Down by 533.4MB

4. Creating partition F:SWAP (NTFS logical volume, 533.4 on Disk:1)

5. Resizing partition C: (FAT32 primary volume, 22865.9MB on Disk:1) New size 18810.5MB

6. Resizing partition *: (Extended, Extended volume 5749.8 on Disk:1) New size 9805.3MB

7. Moving partition DISE_BACKUP (FAT32, Logical volume, 5216.4MB on Disk:1) Down by 4055.5MB

8. Moving partition F:SWAP (NTFS, Logical volume, 533.4MB on Disk:1) Down by 4055.5MB

9. Creating partition G:Linux (NTFS, Logical volume, 4055.4MB on Disk:1)

That is everytrhing it shows right now. Still haven't said yes to "apply changes". Will wait for you guys to respond first. Don't feel like screwing up already with all of this. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast