Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install an rpm package that is a linuxant driver for a HCF chipset winmodem and when I rebuild the source rpm I get this error message ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Erro while installing the modem driver for a winmodem

I am trying to install an rpm package that is a linuxant driver for a HCF chipset winmodem and when I rebuild the source rpm I get this error message

common.mak:11: *** Is the kernel source package installed? KERNELSSRC doesn not point to a proper directory(/lib/modules/2.4.20-6/BUILD)
    make: *** [install] ERROR 2
    error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.47531

Any ideas???. I checked up the directory /lib/modules/2.4.20-6/BUILD . It exists .

Linux Guru
    That might be, but that doesn't mean that you have the kernel source installed. It should be in /usr/src/linux-<kernel version> /lib/modules/2.4.20-6/BUILD is just a symlink that points to there.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the quick response.But I am unable to understand what exactly is the kernel source?
    So what should I copy to that /usr/src/linux... directory??.Should I copy the source rpm there??.Is that what it means??.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    You should install the kernel source code, ie. you shouldn't copy the RPM file there, but you should install the RPM.

Just Joined!
    This is what I have done.I have copied the ***src.rpm into a temp directory under root i.e root/temp. Now when I say rpmbuild --rebuild ***src.rpm , I get this above message. What should I be doing different??.How do I make this KERNELSRC point to this /ur/src/... directoy??

Just Joined!
    Please ignore my previous post.

I have the src rpm and this is what I have done.I have copied the ***src.rpm file into a temp directory under root i.e root/temp. Now when I say rpmbuild --rebuild ***src.rpm , I get this above message. What should I be doing different??.How do I make this KERNELSRC point to this /lib/modules/... directory??

Linux Guru
    What src rpm are you referring to? The WinModem driver source code or the kernel source code?

Just Joined!
    Its the winmodem src rpm

Linux Guru
    What I'm trying to say is that you will need to install the kernel source code as well. If you're using RedHat, you should be able to find the package kernel-source on your installation CDs. I don't know what it's called under other distros.