Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ive been trying to install linux on my pc. Recently tried Fedora and Mandrake (both install on my laptop but dont work on my pc). I already asked some questions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install error- "no valid devices found for file system&

Ive been trying to install linux on my pc. Recently tried Fedora and Mandrake (both install on my laptop but dont work on my pc). I already asked some questions and think that it might have something to do with SATA. Just for further information I DID get SOT LBA-linux working on the pc... Im running on a:

Interl Pentium 4 540 (3,2Ghz) with Hyper Threading Tech, 800Mhz FSB
    512 Mb DDR RAM
    200 Gb disk (7200 rpm), Serial ATA
    nVidia Geforce 6600 256 Mb DDR graphics card

I get the following message with mandrake 10.1 when trying to install:

"an error occurred - no valid devices were found on which to create new file systems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem."

This is the same type of message I got with Fedora. Otherwise I've tried to install Xandros and Crux...

If anyone has any clue of what i would need to do to make the linux install work i'd be very glad... Im a bit confused at the moment :S

PS- I want to keep my xp also working on the side of linux.

Just Joined!

Linux installation failer

Morphene I am having the same problem. Have you found a solution to assist me.

Often, you need to pass either acpi=off or noapic at boot to get going (and append it to your bootloader as well). That's happened to me before.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by morphene View Post
    Ive been trying to install linux on my pc. Recently tried Fedora and Mandrake (both install on my laptop but dont work on my pc). I already asked some questions and think that it might have something to do with SATA. Just for further information I DID get SOT LBA-linux working on the pc... Im running on a:

Interl Pentium 4 540 (3,2Ghz) with Hyper Threading Tech, 800Mhz FSB
    512 Mb DDR RAM
    200 Gb disk (7200 rpm), Serial ATA
    nVidia Geforce 6600 256 Mb DDR graphics card

I get the following message with mandrake 10.1 when trying to install:

"an error occurred - no valid devices were found on which to create new file systems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem."

This is the same type of message I got with Fedora. Otherwise I've tried to install Xandros and Crux...

If anyone has any clue of what i would need to do to make the linux install work i'd be very glad... Im a bit confused at the moment :S

PS- I want to keep my xp also working on the side of linux.
    Hello, morphene.
    I have met this question when I installed the FC6 with the vmware. The followings are two resolutions I found from the Internet:
    1)The default type of the disk is SCSI for the vmware, but the default one for FC is IDE. So when you install the system, you need change the disk type to be IDE if you install it with the vmware. Then all will be ok.
    2)This is the another resolution: When you see "Warning No hard drives have been found. You probaly need to manually choose device drivers for the installation to succeed. Would you like to select drivers now?", select "yes". Choose "Add" in the following dialog. Then find the "BusLogic MultiMaster SCSI (BusLogic)" and choose it. Go on to install your system.