Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am new to Linux (using Lindows) and I like what I see so far. I have a system that I would like to configure with both Linux & ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux & WinXP Dual Boot on 2 HD System....

Hello, I am new to Linux (using Lindows) and I like what I see so far. I have a system that I would like to configure with both Linux & WinXP as follows;

C drive with XP and D drive with Linux. My question is; how /what tools should I use to enable a "dual boot" for the OS selection?

And just curious; I've seen good reports about Knoppix; Mandrake & Suse. Which of these would be good for a novice to learn/play with?

Thank you....

The linux distrobution will install a bootloader so that it can boot, and if you already have Windows on the system the distrobution will (usually) add the windows partition to that bootloader so that you can boot it (if it doesn't add automaticly its easy to add). The two most popular bootloaders in Linux are GrUB (Grand Unified Bootloader), and LiLo (Linux Loader).

I have succesfully dual booted SuSE and Windows XP using the GrUB bootloader.

Regarding the distrobutions you mentiond, Mandrake and Suse ar good distrobutions for begginars. Knoppix is a live cd, which means you can boot up from its cd, and run it without installing, but you can install it if you want.
    I would have a look at http://distrowatch.com for information on them;

I hope this helps;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

Actually...

I should have stated that the system is active and it currently has XP & Lindows on their own drives respectively; with XP being the boot drive, Drive C and Lindows being Drive D.

It is possible to do the dual boot as is; or do I need to reinstall both WinXP and Lindows or other OS for that matter.

Thank you for the reply...

It is possible to dualboot both current OS's, you will have to ether re-configure the Lindows bootloader and add Windows to it, maybe you should check out the Linsire(lindows) forums on how to do this, since I have no experience with Lindows.

You will not have to re install the OS's, but you might have to repaire the Lindows distro, by adding a bootloader, but I'm not sure about Lindows.

If you were to install SuSE (or mandrake) over Linspire(lidows) it would add Windows to the bootloader, and if it didn't , it's easy enough to add it.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2