Find the answer to your Linux question:
I finally managed to make my Speedtouch USB modem to work under Red Hat 9 and now i am posting using my adsl connection ! I followed the instructions (except ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ADSL Scripts

I finally managed to make my Speedtouch USB modem to work under Red Hat 9 and now i am posting using my adsl connection ! I followed the instructions (except the part where you upgrade your ppp) given at http://forums.devshed.com/showthread...threadid=39216 and that was all.
    In the instruction there is a part where you make a script in the root dir to be able to start the dsl connection and one to stop it.

startadsl
    #!/bin/sh
    /sbin/modprobe n_hdlc >& /tmp/pppd.log
    /sbin/modprobe ppp_synctty &> /tmp/pppd.log
    /usr/local/bin/modem_run -f /root/mgmt/mgmt.o -m
    /usr/sbin/pppd call adsl &> /tmp/pppd.log
    /sbin/route add default ppp0
    Save & Exit

chmod 700 /root/startadsl

stopadsl
    #!/bin/sh
    kill -INT `pidof pppd`
    Save & Exit

chmod 700 /root/stopadsl

I got two questions about this. First is there a way to have the startadsl script run during bootup so that it connects automatically and have the stopadsl run during log out, reboot or halt so that it shutdown by itself?
    Second when i run the stopadsl script i get an error saying that pidof no such command.

Thanks in advance!

Linux Guru
    Use killall instead of the line with pidof; that should take care of that problem. Then, to start and stop it along with the system, try creating a file /etc/rc.d/init.d/adsl that looks something like this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
      start)
        /sbin/modprobe n_hdlc
        /sbin/modprobe ppp_synctty
        /usr/local/bin/modem_run
        /sbin/route add default ppp0
        ;;
      stop)
        killall -INT pppd
        ;;
    esac
    After you have created that, run these commands:
    Code:
    chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/init.d/adsl
    ln -s ../init.d/adsl /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10adsl
    ln -s ../init.d/adsl /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S10adsl

Just Joined!
    Thanks i ll try that.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

speedtouch 330

Evening People

I followed the instructions on that page to the step by step tutorial on how to set up USB modem. Firstly I have Mandrake 9.0 and a speedtouch 330 USB modem. I also have pipex as my ISP. I followed the guide step by step and right at the end I got this message. It came after I typed this ./startadsl

I’m sorry, I didn’t find your adsl modem!

Tips : Check that you are running this program as root and your device is seen by your OS

Linux Users : Check /Proc/bus/usb/devices
    BSD Users : Check your kernel configuration

Sidcaddrt : Non Such device

I checked the /proc/bus/usb/devices and it was a empty document. Please could you help as I wanna move away from Winblows. COULD SOMEONE PLZ HELP

Thanks in Advanced

Spike

Linux Engineer
    as root run
    less /proc/bus/usb/devices
    if this is completely empty then ur usb ports arent set up.
    I run somewher between mdk9.0 and 9.2 and this file says a whole bunch of stuff about firstly my usb ports (speed, bus location, etc) and then any devices attached.

run lspcidrake and see if there are any references to usb ports.

Just Joined!

speedtouch 330

Hi there Hell

Tried what u said and it came up with a load about the USB ports. I saw it had my Alcatel Speedtouch 330 there but under drivers there was none. So can u help because i really wanna get the net up and running. The net is the most important thing for me to keep in contact with my Family back home in South Africa.

Thanks in Advanced.

Spike

Linux Engineer
    run:
    uname -r
    to find out what kernel u are running, apparently 2.4.22 and later have support for ur modem out of the box, others need a driver.
    if u havent changed it, 9.0 runs 2.4.19-16mdk out of the box so u need ot update it.

http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/ has a driver availible and a pretty good documentation section on how to install it.

however my suggestion would be to downlaod the latest 2.4.23 kernel from rpmfind.net, rpm.pbone.net, or anywhere else u can get a mandrake modified kernel-source-2.4.23... file.

compile and isntall this kernel (the documentation in kernel sources is pretty straightforward) and it should be able to detect ur modem fine.