Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've installed RH 7.3 on the second drive of a HP Vectra 7/233. This computer has successfully run RH 6.X in the past with another much older, 15" monitor. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Monitor won't 'set up'

I've installed RH 7.3 on the second drive of a HP Vectra 7/233.
    This computer has successfully run RH 6.X in the past with another much older, 15" monitor.
    The current monitor is a (Capetronics?) MICRON 700CX (17", model# RM07R11, manf. Aug. '99)
    Xconfigurator correctly identifies my (only) video chip as a Cirrus Logic GD 5465. There's no other video card installed.

As the computer is setting up for the log-in screen it seems to (unsuccessfully) be trying different 'settings' with the monitor (ie, the monitor briefly displays a gobbledygook screen but that one vanishes along with a "snick" from the back of the monitor) before finally finding a setting that'll show the "localhost login:". This happens, maybe, 6 times each start.
    (And this obviously isn't the best of signs...)

Anyway, after logging in as 'root' and running Xconfigurator, I cannot find a monitor setting (tried all the 'Generics') that'll 'take'.
    Each setting will momentarily show checkerboard blocks superimposed over my Windows 98 window background picture -- and then they'll be a small 'snick' from the back of the monitor and picture goes away. It's replaced by an 'Error' window telling me "There is a problem with your X configuration. You may go back and modify your configuration or exit now."
    So, I try again... and again... and again.........

The "PCI Probe" screen says the following:
    PCI Entry : Cirrus Logic:GD 5465 [Laguna]
    X Server : XF86_SVGA
    XFree4 driver: cirrus

Any help would be most gratefully appreciated!
    -Lonnie

flw
    Linux Engineer
    This maybe a dumb question but have you tried a newer/different monitor for testing?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlanwan
    ...have you tried a newer/different monitor for testing?
    Wish I could. Don't have any others.
    The smaller one I'd had earlier was tossed when I picked up this one.

My installation of RedHat 8 does something similair...everytime x is starting it flashes 6 upsidedown symbols from my motherboard/bios (O_o) but since x always runs normally after that for me I just ignore it...

Just Joined!
    (Maybe I should've labeled this Subject "Flashing Monitors"...)

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Just before you first go to login can you get to the option (if you click Session) for failsafe mode? Or did you make the boot disk during setup?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlanwan
    Just before you first go to login can you get to the option (if you click Session) for failsafe mode? Or did you make the boot disk during setup?
    Yes, I did make a boot disk.
    How can the boot disk be used for this problem?

OK, I've verified the problem isn't monitor-specific: the same thing happens when restarting with an old Dell V15X (13.5") tube made in '96.