Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to install Mandrake 10.1 on a PC that had XP installed on it. (I don't want a dual boot system. I only need linux on it). After I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Error loading operating system error

I'm trying to install Mandrake 10.1 on a PC that had XP installed on it. (I don't want a dual boot system. I only need linux on it). After I reboot when the installation finishes, I get an "Error loading operating system" error. I created a /boot partition during the install and a few other partitions. I've searched on Google for solutions and it seems there's something wrong with the mbr. I used the fixmbr program from the xp installation cd. Should I just let the mandrake install program allocate the partitions? Can anyone offer me some advice what I should try next?

Let Mandrake automanage the Partitions and you should be fine. If you want to specify the sizes of your partitions, try this:
    Let ~ 30% Hard Disk for / (root partition)
    I assume you have atleast 256 RAM, allow for ~ 300 - 500 Mb for swap
    and the rest for home.
    All the other options are legacy options from older versions, where you needed to specify the sizes for every single one of them. With the modern distros, you only really need a root partition, swap space and a home partition.

During the install, tell the system to install lilo to the MBR.

Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I let Mandrake automanage the partitions and installed LILO to /dev/hda which I assume that's where the mbr is. I still get the same error. Anything else I should try?

The MBR is at the begining of hda. So you shouldn't tell it to install it to hda, but there should be an explicit option for installing to MBR.

Just let the installer select the default option when installing lilo.

Just Joined!
    The default option for me was /dev/hda. I didn't see MBR in the list. I do have 2 other hard drives in this PC and I tried installing Mandrake on another drive and that didn't work either.

As your bios boots up, is it finding the HD at the right size?
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Just Joined!
    The bios doesn't specify the size of the HD. I do have 2 other hard drives in the pc. Is this effecting things? I even tried installing mandrake on the 2nd drive and got the same problem.

I ran fdisk /mbr from a Win98 disk and then ran through the Mandrake install and now I get a different error - "Missing operating system".

Just Joined!
    I finally figured it out. I ran fdisk/mbr from a win98 disk before installing Mandrake and ran the standard installation. After rebooting, it booted into mandrake.

I then tried to create partitions on 2 other disk drives and mounted them ok, but after rebooting, I again got the missing operating system error. Any ideas why?

On normal machinces when they power up, the BIOS does a memory check, after that it does an IDE scan of what is hooked up to it. the next screen is when you need to hit the pause/break key to stop the scroll and see what size the Bios sees the HDs after loading Mandrake. If your machine does not do this, then what is it and how old is it?
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829