Find the answer to your Linux question:
Advise needed for installing Linux with ASRock P4S61 Dear sirs, My current computer configuration is: motherboard - ASRock P4S61, processor - Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz HT Ext, memory - 512 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Advise needed for installing Linux with ASRock P4S61

Advise needed for installing Linux with ASRock P4S61

Dear sirs,

My current computer configuration is:

motherboard - ASRock P4S61,
    processor - Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz HT Ext,
    memory - 512 Mb DDR333,
    video - Ati Radeon 9200 128 Mb,
    hard-drive - 120 Gb Maxtor 6Y120L0,
    CD-Rom - HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8526B (LG)

The problem is that i can't install and/or boot any linux distro on my computer.

1) Red-Hat 7.2-9 or Fedora Core 3 usually complete their installation process without any problems but couldn't be loaded then from hard-drive - work only in safe mode.
    When try to boot them in usual non-safe mode, it says

"hda: lost interrupt
    hda: lost interrupt
    hda: lost interrupt" at the very beginning of detection hardware

2) Mandrake Linux 9-10.1 Community doesn't start installation at all -

"hda: lost interrupt
    hda: lost interrupt" at the very beginning of detection hardware

3) Suse Linux Personal 9.1 started installation after 6th attempt in fail-safe mode (during first 5 tries it freezes during copying files appr. at 10-15%), doesn't boot then from hard-drive (even at fail-safe mode - freezes at the very beginning hardware detection). When in normal mode

hda: lost interrupt...

4) Knoppix Live CD 3.7 - well works perfectly as Live CD, but when i try to install it with /usr/sbin/knoppix-installer, it freezes at appr. 25-30%

After spending several weeks in Google search i realized that the problem is within the motherboard (Hard-Drive Controller i believe), and other hard-ware is working perfectly (at least under Windows XP SP2)

So, do i need to purchase another mother-board? If yes, what manufactor and what model for P4? Or if you have any other suggestions please share them with me.

Thank you very much beforehand,

Sincerely,
    -Alex

sounds more like a problem either with your hard disk or the bios on your motherboard. Try, before buying another, going to asrocks' website and seeing if they have a later bios for your board. Then download it, if yes, and carefully follow the instructions on how to create a bios upgrade diskette and how to upgrade your bios (make sure that you read thier instructions at least three times before doing it).

have fun

Nerderello

ps. I used to have an Asrock mobo which happily accepted all sorts of Linuxes, but I broke it with to much plugging and unplugging of bits and pieces.

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerderello
    sounds more like a problem either with your hard disk or the bios on your motherboard. Try, before buying another, going to asrocks' website and seeing if they have a later bios for your board. Then download it, if yes, and carefully follow the instructions on how to create a bios upgrade diskette and how to upgrade your bios (make sure that you read thier instructions at least three times before doing it).

have fun

Nerderello

ps. I used to have an Asrock mobo which happily accepted all sorts of Linuxes, but I broke it with to much plugging and unplugging of bits and pieces.
    Ah, thank you Nerderello. I tried what you adviced me to do, I updated my BIOS from 2.10 to 2.50 but mainly nothing changed, so i just sold that ASRock mainboard and purchased Linux complatible ASUS P4S800.

Here is the Suse web-site where everyone can check for linux-compatible hardware: http://cdb.suse.de/index.php?LANG=en_UK